Old 01-02-2008, 02:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default how do you...

Frank wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:

This ain't Bambi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNGGbozilko

I've seen this. The moron in the tape covered himself with buck
lure
during the rut with a pen raised deer. The buck was not as much
attacking him as exerting his dominant rights as happens when bucks
fight over does. Buck lures usually come with warning not to apply
your person as most contain urine from does in heat or tarsal glands
of rutting bucks.

The point is not why the deer did it but that the deer had no
difficulty kicking the living crap out of him.

As for deer running long distances, they don't. Deer are sprinters
and put on a burst of speed to find cover. Then they stop and wait
and run again if pursuer finds them. In parts of country, deer
hunters are allowed to use dogs. This is usually in swampy areas
where deer can take refuge.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old 01-02-2008, 07:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

J. Clarke wrote:
Frank wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
This ain't Bambi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNGGbozilko

I've seen this. The moron in the tape covered himself with buck
lure
during the rut with a pen raised deer. The buck was not as much
attacking him as exerting his dominant rights as happens when bucks
fight over does. Buck lures usually come with warning not to apply
your person as most contain urine from does in heat or tarsal glands
of rutting bucks.

The point is not why the deer did it but that the deer had no
difficulty kicking the living crap out of him.

In my lifetime, I've been kicked by a deer and bitten by a groundhog.
Lesson I learned was to make sure they are dead after you shoot them
Old 01-02-2008, 08:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
Frank wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
This ain't Bambi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNGGbozilko

I've seen this. The moron in the tape covered himself with buck
lure
during the rut with a pen raised deer. The buck was not as much
attacking him as exerting his dominant rights as happens when bucks
fight over does. Buck lures usually come with warning not to apply
your person as most contain urine from does in heat or tarsal glands
of rutting bucks.

The point is not why the deer did it but that the deer had no
difficulty kicking the living crap out of him.

In my lifetime, I've been kicked by a deer and bitten by a groundhog.
Lesson I learned was to make sure they are dead after you shoot them

Those were some plucky critters. Good on them.

Hey, "enigma", you still with us?

I found a couple of web sites that relate to deer, not llamas and goats,
but you may still want to have a look at them. You'd be amazed at the
dearth of information on llama repellents.

http://www.walnutcouncil.org/deer_repellent_study.htm

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/NATRES/06520.html

Both sites have some counsel on treatments to use but the upshot of it
all, is [sic] that fences is best.
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars
http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Sto...917874,00.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movemen...George_W._Bush

Old 01-02-2008, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote in

ct.net.au:

Hey, "enigma", you still with us?

usually

I found a couple of web sites that relate to deer, not
llamas and goats, but you may still want to have a look at
them. You'd be amazed at the dearth of information on llama
repellents.

not really. i don't know too many people that keep llamas
*and* run a maple syrup operation.
however, i think a repellant study might be useful, as
llamas, horses, & goats can suffer liver damage from eating
maple leaves (usually wilted, or autumn leaves that haven't
dried out). since it takes a goodly quantity of leaves before
symptoms show, this isn't common knowledge. apparently in
horses, by the time it shows symptoms, it's pretty much too
late. it shows as dizziness or odd gait in llamas & isn't
usually fatal as, if caught in time, the liver heals pretty
well.
but my problem is eating bark...
well, it was, but now they've settled on eating the pine (and
the blueberry bushes), so it's not so big a deal

http://www.walnutcouncil.org/deer_repellent_study.htm

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/NATRES/06520.html

Both sites have some counsel on treatments to use but the
upshot of it all, is [sic] that fences is best.

so it appears. fortunately i have a roll of woven wire stock
fence to put around the trunks... no worry about it washing
off either.
lee

--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 05-02-2008, 01:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 14:42:25 -0500, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
Deer are afraid of dogs and will run from any dog.

It was June 15th and our annual picnic for
friends and family at my mothers house out in the country (altho the burbs
had been built up around it). People were arriving and Sims d'Pap slipped
out the door as he was greeting people. Now his most favorite thing was to
chase the chipmunks thru the gardens with his tail propellering above the
hostas. He is not a "follow your nose down the yellow brick road" type so
I didnt worry until I heard his very excited "I need some back up here"
bark and I stepped outside to call him. Just as I did I saw him flash out
from under the big beech tree with branches to the ground, tail down,
hauling ass back towards the house and going so fast he streaked past me.
Then almost immediately I saw the legs of what I thought was a Great Dane
break out from under the same branches, but as the animal cleared the tree
and the head came up I saw it was a deer and she looked very intent on
making toe jam out of Sims. I hollered and she came up and stopped but I
could see really wanted to trounce that annoying little thing that had now
turned around and was yapping his head off. At that point I ran right at
her, yelling and waving the towel I had in my hand to get her moving in any
other direction that towards Sims. I am quite sure Sims had discovered her
fawn out there and she was protecting it.

Ingrid