Old 30-01-2008, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default how do you...

keep deer from nibbling on tree bark/branches?
we've done logging in the llamas winter pasture & removed all
the pine.
we had a good bit of the branches left for the llamas & goats
to browse, but, of course, they've suddenly discovered there
are sugar maples in the pasture (which they never bothered in
the 5 years i've winter pastured them there). i seem to recall
something that tastes nasty that could be sprayed or painted
on the trees. am i imagining things or is there such a thing?
i can put mesh fencing around the trunks, but that won't keep
them from eating the branches. i can't move them to the other
pastures until the ground thaws enough to refence.
any ideas?
lee
Old 30-01-2008, 12:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

enigma wrote:
keep deer from nibbling on tree bark/branches?
we've done logging in the llamas winter pasture & removed all
the pine.
we had a good bit of the branches left for the llamas & goats
to browse, but, of course, they've suddenly discovered there
are sugar maples in the pasture (which they never bothered in
the 5 years i've winter pastured them there). i seem to recall
something that tastes nasty that could be sprayed or painted
on the trees. am i imagining things or is there such a thing?
i can put mesh fencing around the trunks, but that won't keep
them from eating the branches. i can't move them to the other
pastures until the ground thaws enough to refence.
any ideas?
lee

Small trees, you have to surround with fence or netting. Deer can only
browse up to about 6 feet but bucks can bring down trees several inches
in diameter rubbing their antlers. Local park in reforesting a field
wrapped new trees with wound plastic and guyed them, maybe losing 10 to
20 percent to buck rubs.
Old 30-01-2008, 04:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in
:

enigma wrote:
[...]

yes, llamas can browse up to 6-7' too. they stand on their
hind legs.
most of these maples are 4 or more inches across, but llamas
& the stupid goats will peel & eat the bark, eventually
girdling the trees. the maples that are big enough to tap
start getting flaky bark, & they never bother those except to
nibble low branch tips.
considering how much yummy pine there is on the ground right
now i don't get why they suddenly noticed the maples.
oh well, i'll keep the stupid goats tied outside the pasture
& put mesh around the trunks, i guess. i was hoping for a
nasty tasting spray recipe though.
lee
Old 30-01-2008, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in
:

yes, llamas can browse up to 6-7' too. they stand on their
hind legs.
most of these maples are 4 or more inches across, but llamas
& the stupid goats will peel & eat the bark, eventually
girdling the trees. the maples that are big enough to tap
start getting flaky bark, & they never bother those except to
nibble low branch tips.
considering how much yummy pine there is on the ground right
now i don't get why they suddenly noticed the maples.
oh well, i'll keep the stupid goats tied outside the pasture
& put mesh around the trunks, i guess. i was hoping for a
nasty tasting spray recipe though.
lee

Pine needles have an astringent in them that makes them less palatable than
the maple. About the only critter I know of that works on pine bark is
beaver, and they prefer other trees over pine.

Old 30-01-2008, 06:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

I've never had any luck repelling deer. I understand it takes persistent
application of things like rotten eggs dispersed in soapy water. Some
stuff is sold that does not work. I had a neighbor buy fox urine. I
told her it would not work because I've used it as a masking scent while
deer hunting. Same with skunk.

In the dead of winter, deer will eat anything. They may starve to death
from malnutrition but their stomachs are never empty. Physical barrier
is only real solution. Netting can work well but a big herd might get
them rammy and they can knock it down.

Old 30-01-2008, 07:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Don Staples" wrote in
:

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

llamas & goats love pine. not so much the bark, but the
needles. they do strip the bark on the branches they can reach
though. i'm sure maple tastes better though
lee
Old 31-01-2008, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

I live in the country and used to have deer problems with my small
orchard. Now, I have 4 dogs and after poop scooping the yard I spread
their droppings around the trees, year 'round. It solved my deer
problem. . . they stay away.

Old 31-01-2008, 04:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

ctlady wrote in

oups.com:

I live in the country and used to have deer problems with
my small orchard. Now, I have 4 dogs and after poop
scooping the yard I spread their droppings around the
trees, year 'round. It solved my deer problem. . . they
stay away.

yeah, but my problem *isn't* deer. it's llamas & they have to
be in this pasture until the barn is finished & the other
fencing is replaced... i'm not dumping dog poo in the pasture.
there's enough bean piles there already & if i put carnivore
poo in there i can't use the other on my gardens.
does Bitter Apple come in gallons?
lee
Old 31-01-2008, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

enigma wrote:
keep deer from nibbling on tree bark/branches?
�we've done logging in the llamas winter pasture & removed all
the pine.
�we had a good bit of the branches left for the llamas & goats
to browse, but, of course, they've suddenly discovered there
are sugar maples in the pasture (which they never bothered in
the 5 years i've winter pastured them there). i seem to recall
something that tastes nasty that could be sprayed or painted
on the trees. am i imagining things or is there such a thing?
�i can put mesh fencing around the trunks, but that won't keep
them from eating the branches.

If course you can, with larger trees use turkey wire and simply set at
a large enough diameter that the deer can't reach the lower
branches... I have quite a few trees where I've done exactly that...
just make a ring of the turkey wire around the tree and stake to the
ground in a few spots. If you need to mow around the trees hammer
four 4' metal posts in and use chicken wire set about a foot off the
ground so a push mower will fit under (chicken wire works fine too).
Since putting up these fences I've had no deer nibbling my trees.
I've tried spraying all sorts of deer repelant, none do anything
except necessitate my needing a long hot shower each time with plenty
of scrubbing to remove the stench, and a lot of extra laundry. Turkey
wire, chicken wire, and metal posts are cheap (much less expensive
than deer repelant), and easily removed and reused (can't reuse deer
repelant).

He
http://i32.tinypic.com/mcruva.jpg

Old 31-01-2008, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

ctlady wrote:
I live in the country and used to have deer problems with my small
orchard. Now, I have 4 dogs and after poop scooping the yard I spread
their droppings around the trees, year 'round. It solved my deer
problem. . . they stay away.

Deer are afraid of dogs and will run from any dog. I once saw a big buck
being chased by a beagle. OTOH deer are not stupid. I also observed a
herd of deer munching on acorns under a tree while dog chained in yard
next to them was barking his head off. The deer learn which dogs can
chase them and which are confined. You must have fooled the deer but I
suspect if there were no dogs in the area, the deer would not be fooled
by poop alone.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 31, 2:42�pm, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
ctlady wrote:
I live in the country and used to have deer problems with my small
orchard. �Now, I have 4 dogs and after poop scooping the yard I spread
their droppings around the trees, year 'round. �It solved my deer
problem. . . they stay away.

Deer are afraid of dogs and will run from any dog.

That's not true. Deer would rather flee than confront but not
always. My neighbor had a tough border collie, Rocky, because he
loved to dig up rocks and leave them hidden for the lawnmower. 99pct
of the time Rocky would head full speed into a herd of deer and all
the deer would flee, but every so often one of the dominant does would
stop, turn, and glare at him. Poor Rocky, how embarrassing being
backed down by a doe, he'd turn tail and slowly retreat, wimpering
with head down, while that doe would stand tall, snorting and pounding
a hoof into the ground. Of course that never stopped Rocky from
chasing deer the next day. No dog wants to actually fight a deer... a
pack of dogs will take down a deer but one on one no single dog (or
unarmed man) stands a chance against a single deer... one whomp with
that hoof will slplit a skull like a ripe melon.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

ctlady wrote:
[...]

I'll take your word for it. I've seen a lot of deer chased by dogs but
never the two together. Deer are faster than dogs but do not have the
stamina and dogs can bring them down in a long chase.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

ctlady wrote:
I live in the country and used to have deer problems with my small
orchard. �Now, I have 4 dogs and after poop scooping the yard I spread
their droppings around the trees, year 'round. �It solved my deer
problem. . . they stay away.
Deer are afraid of dogs and will run from any dog.

That's not true. Â*Deer would rather flee than confront but not
always. Â*My neighbor had a tough border collie, Rocky, because he
loved to dig up rocks and leave them hidden for the lawnmower. Â*99pct
of the time Rocky would head full speed into a herd of deer and all
the deer would flee, but every so often one of the dominant does would
stop, turn, and glare at him. Â*Poor Rocky, how embarrassing being
backed down by a doe, he'd turn tail and slowly retreat, wimpering
with head down, while that doe would stand tall, snorting and pounding
a hoof into the ground. Â*Of course that never stopped Rocky from
chasing deer the next day. Â*No dog wants to actually fight a deer.... a
pack of dogs will take down a deer but one on one no single dog (or
unarmed man) stands a chance against a single deer... one whomp with
that hoof will slplit a skull like Â*a ripe melon.

Deer are faster than dogs but do not have the
stamina and dogs can bring them down in a long chase

You're kidding of course... then you've never seen deer run. There're
good reasons deer hunters don't use dogs. I see deer run over long
distances every day. There is no way any dog is going to bring down a
deer by chasing, especially not once a deer gets into the woods, and
deer accelerate from zero to 35 mph in under two seconds. Preditors
bring down deer by stealth, never by chasing. Packs of coyotes bring
down sick deer but they can never catch healthy deer, and no single
coyote would dare go up against a deer, not even a sick one. A deer
under duress can leap ten feet into the air and on the way down in mid
air will stomp a dog brainless. Deer are not nearly so meek as
portrayed by Disney, deer are extremely powerful beasts and if
cornered will fight ferociously. There is also good reson why there's
a problem with an over abundance of deer, they are not so easily taken
down by preditors. The white tailed deer has survived essentially
unchanged some three and a half million years, not because it's easy
prey... man is it's only serious enemy.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

Sheldon wrote:
wrote:
ctlady wrote:
[...]

This ain't Bambi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNGGbozilko

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old 01-02-2008, 01:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

J. Clarke wrote:

This ain't Bambi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNGGbozilko

I've seen this. The moron in the tape covered himself with buck lure
during the rut with a pen raised deer. The buck was not as much
attacking him as exerting his dominant rights as happens when bucks
fight over does. Buck lures usually come with warning not to apply to
your person as most contain urine from does in heat or tarsal glands of
rutting bucks.

As for deer running long distances, they don't. Deer are sprinters and
put on a burst of speed to find cover. Then they stop and wait and run
again if pursuer finds them. In parts of country, deer hunters are
allowed to use dogs. This is usually in swampy areas where deer can
take refuge.