Old 31-01-2008, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default OFF Topic Ping Music lovers

http://www.last.fm/

May be of interest to Billy, Charlie and other folks.

Bill

ps Videos too!

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/

The Betamax Doctrine
Wed, 23 Jan 2008

Earlier today, two things happened. First, I wrote about our support of
the EFF, noting that none of our products were created to facilitate
theft. We'll get back to that in a minute, but it was a timely post.

Second, CBS-owned music site Last.fm opened up streaming from their site.

Where previously they'd provided 30-second previews of songs (a la
iTunes), they're now providing on-demand access to full-length tracks
and albums.
This is a very cool thing, as it makes music more accessible. Various
individual artists in the past have streamed their new album or a single
right from their site, with the idea that you'd take a listen or two and
hopefully buy the album. Last.fm is looking to shake that model up and
monetize the streaming itself via ads as well as sales of both
individual songs and subscriptions. In fact, each play results in a
royalty payment to the artist, which is great.

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millvile Weather

[IMG] code is On

Ping sacha - reposted message! Ping Spider re Deutzia Spider[_2_] United Kingdom 4 04-05-2009 06:28 AM
Off Topic Ping Jangchub aka Victoria Bill[_13_] Gardening 0 30-01-2009 05:22 PM
PING PING Jan -ED Ponds 0 30-06-2006 04:46 PM
Ping derek (off topic) Gill Passman Ponds 0 30-04-2006 02:27 AM
GW Music Sacha United Kingdom 3 15-04-2003 09:56 PM