Old 21-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Dave Fouchey

Default can you identify this fruit/tree info with image link

Surinam Cherry, they also make a nice hedging plant, tasty too.

http://www.tropilab.com/surinamcherry.html

Image

http://www.tropilab.com/view-eugeniauniflora.html

Mother in law had a hedge of them in Miami.

Dave Fouchey
Sterling Heights, MI

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 22:05:37 GMT, "joe s" wrote:

i have a tree that has alot of bright red fruit on it each year

http://65.35.65.115:81/garden.html

can you identify it? the fruit almost looks like a pumpkin shaped cherry.

i was told by a local guy that it was some sort of oriental cherry, in fact,
he picked some and ate them.

if this is true, can i treat them like regular cherries? fully edible and
used in cooking?

thnx for any info..

Old 22-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Dave Fouchey

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 00:38:01 GMT, Tracey wrote:

Durnit, Dave beat me to it.

Tracey

Chuckle well even I get one now and again Tracey...used to pick and
eat them when we lived in Miami.

Cheers!

Dave
Old 08-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Alice Gless

Default Link

Here's what it had on squamigera. I don't know what perianth is, will have to
look that up, but the blue in the one I found is very true and not purplish or
lavendarish, even though the rest of the blossom has pink to lavendar tones.

Leaves first appearing in autumn and then reappearing in spring;
perianth
purple

11 LYCORIS
squamigera
+
Leaves appearing in spring; perianth yellow or white.

(5)

Cereoid-UR12- wrote:

Lycoris squamigera is very common in cultivation while Lycoris sprengeri is
rarely seen.

The plant in your photo has flowers with the wavy tepal margins and yellow
throat typical for Lycoris squamigera. So, there is no doubt to its
identity.

http://flora.huh.harvard.edu:8080/fl...axon_id=119162

Lycoris squamigera is considered to be a sterile triploid hybrid between
Lycoris sprengeri and Lycoris chinensis.

******************

You can forget about the nitwit trolls like Tomski. As you can see, they add
nothing to the discussion other than showing everyone how immature they are
and how little they know about plants. All their arrogant puffery and
showboating is just overcompensation for their many inadequacies.

Jan Flora wrote in message
In article , Alice Gless

wrote:

Sorry you two got into a flame war over my flower.

Are you sure it isn't Lycoris sprengeri? I found a picture of one which

is very
similar to my flower but the blue is even more pronounced (you will need

scroll down about halfway):

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog...nt/page62.html

In any case, I am very grateful to all who responded.

[snipped the sniping]

Is the blue in your flower more pronounced or the blue in that photo?
(That's a gorgeous plant and a cool nursery -- thanks for the link --
I just requested a catalog from them. *g*)

Here's a good photo of a Lycoris squamigera (Naked Lady).

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/930593-product.html

Naked ladies grew all over the yard, when I lived in a Victorian in
the Bay Area. I really miss them. The fragrance is wonderful, too.
I'm trying to figure out how to grow them in Zone 3. They're hardy
to Zone 5. Maybe in big pots that go into the garden shed in the winter?
Or tons of mulch? I'll have to get my brother to go dig some bulbs up
out of my old garden and send them up. It's worth a try : )

Jan