Old 01-03-2008, 04:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Vegetable garden and the ants

Haven't done any vegetables in a few years and as I now live in a mobile
home, the space is somewhat limited. All I'm wanting at the moment are some
pole beans. My choices for growing are large pots with trelleses, trying to
keep plant ends away from anything an ant can climb on to reach the vines,
or planting in the ground with trelleses. The area I live in has more small
ants than should be allowed and want to keep them away from the beans
without using poisions all over the place. Any suggestions? Thanks.

--
Paul O.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Paul O." wrote in
:

Haven't done any vegetables in a few years and as I now
live in a mobile home, the space is somewhat limited. All
I'm wanting at the moment are some pole beans. My choices
for growing are large pots with trelleses, trying to keep
plant ends away from anything an ant can climb on to reach
the vines, or planting in the ground with trelleses. The
area I live in has more small ants than should be allowed
and want to keep them away from the beans without using
poisions all over the place. Any suggestions? Thanks.

ants don't bother beans. if you have ants on your pole beans,
they are most likely there because you have aphids. you can
easily control aphids with a spray of water & by encoraging
ladybugs. no poisons needed.
beans, bush or pole, need warm soil to start though, so
unless your soil temps are over 65F it's too early to plant
beans. you might be able to get an early start in dark colored
buckets, if you want to experiment.
i don't start my beans outdoors until late June/early July
here in NH. seedlings started indoors & planted out before the
soil warms will be more stunted than outdoor sown seeds
planted at the correct temperature. i do start beans indoors
too, but they don't get out to the garden until it warms up
now.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 01-03-2008, 06:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"Paul O." wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks Enigma, guess I'll put em in the ground then. Still a little early
here in So. Cal. also.
So will wait another month or so.
--
Paul O.