Old 06-03-2008, 05:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Fence basics

In article ,
"SteveB" meagain@rockvilleUSA wrote:

I live in rural Utah. Extreme SW. We have all manner of critters around
here, mainly, but not limited to rabbits, some deer, skunks, gophers,
chipmunks, marmots, and a few others.

We are putting in the garden and I'm wondering about border wire. I have
heard of "hog" wire, "chicken" wire, "horse" wire, and all sorts of wire. I
"think" I want some that starts off with smaller squares toward the bottom,
then larger as it goes up so as to keep out the small critters at the
bottom, and the bigger ones higher up.

Is that what I need? What's the name. Garden wire? I'm sure they would
steer me right at the feed store or Ace, or HD, but I thought I'd ask some
seasoned gardeners here.

Thanks.

Steve

How about a fence of any size mesh with a dog or two who have access
to your house.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather

http://improve-usenet.org/

Old 06-03-2008, 06:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

That's another story. I have a Pembroke Corgi and a Lab/Rott. They have
areas enclosed by fencing where they have access, or denied access. The way
they love to dig holes and sleep on damp ground, they will not have access
to the garden areas. There are lots of other watered areas around the yard
where they can dig a bed. The Lab/Rott has just discovered gophers, too,
and I think she'd plow up a garden to get one of them.

Steve

Old 07-03-2008, 09:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

"bq340" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
I live in rural Utah. Extreme SW. We have all manner of critters around
here, mainly, but not limited to rabbits, some deer, skunks, gophers,
chipmunks, marmots, and a few others.

We are putting in the garden and I'm wondering about border wire. I have
heard of "hog" wire, "chicken" wire, "horse" wire, and all sorts of wire.
I "think" I want some that starts off with smaller squares toward the
bottom, then larger as it goes up so as to keep out the small critters at
the bottom, and the bigger ones higher up.

Is that what I need? What's the name. Garden wire? I'm sure they would
steer me right at the feed store or Ace, or HD, but I thought I'd ask
some seasoned gardeners here.

Thanks.

Steve

It is called "rabbit guard" fencing here, but I have been unable to find
it taller then 4' at the stores, so you may need something else above it
to stop the deer.

MikeB

7mm. Mauser.