Old 12-03-2008, 02:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Shrub ID?

How about a closeup of leaves and flowers?

It could be some variety of bottlebrush
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callistemon
except they are not deciduous.

J.

There are no leaves on the plant at present. I'm fairly certain that it
is not a bottlebrush. I have one of those in my yard and I am very
familiar with it, though the flower color does match.

I have had many suggestions that it is a pomegranate. Never having
knowingly seen one before, I was very reluctant to accept that ID, and
yet more and more people have made the same suggestion. After poring
over lots of photos of pomegranates, I'm fairly well convinced that that
is what it must be. I've never seen any fruit on it, but there are
ornamental varieties that do not produce fruit. I'll get more photos
when it leafs out and blooms which should be sometime in May.

Eric Miller
www.colibrihotsauce.com
Old 12-03-2008, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 09:55:43 -0500, Eric Miller
wrote:

How about a closeup of leaves and flowers?

It could be some variety of bottlebrush
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callistemon
except they are not deciduous.

J.

There are no leaves on the plant at present. I'm fairly certain that it
is not a bottlebrush. I have one of those in my yard and I am very
familiar with it, though the flower color does match.

I have had many suggestions that it is a pomegranate. Never having
knowingly seen one before, I was very reluctant to accept that ID, and
yet more and more people have made the same suggestion. After poring
over lots of photos of pomegranates, I'm fairly well convinced that that
is what it must be. I've never seen any fruit on it, but there are
ornamental varieties that do not produce fruit. I'll get more photos
when it leafs out and blooms which should be sometime in May.

I have a pomegranate, and it is certainly deciduous even here in Los
Angeles, we get no fruit on it either, the flowers are very ornate,
the branches are covered with sucker growth (that I should probably
trim off).

J.

[IMG] code is On

shrub Honeysuckle Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 27-10-2003 02:42 PM
What is this shrub? animaux Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
[IBC] unknown shrub, can it be used for bonsai? Sam Williams Bonsai 6 13-02-2003 02:55 AM
Planting new rosemary bush/shrub Anita Blanchard Gardening 1 04-02-2003 09:16 PM
evergreen shrub dying? Faye Lifford-Earle Gardening 0 24-01-2003 10:14 AM