Old 15-03-2008, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default ot but dealing with eats

Rainy day stuff.

Found over in a alt.support.diabetes

Bill

Billy third link is Diamond.

http://www.drjaywortman.com/blog/wordpress/about/

http://www.cbc.ca/thelens/bigfatdiet/

http://www.environnement.ens.fr/pers...mistake_jared_
diamond.pdf

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 15-03-2008, 06:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Bill wrote:

Rainy day stuff.

Found over in a alt.support.diabetes

Bill

Billy third link is Diamond.

http://www.drjaywortman.com/blog/wordpress/about/

http://www.cbc.ca/thelens/bigfatdiet/

http://www.environnement.ens.fr/pers...mistake_jared_
diamond.pdf

Wow. You must have had quite a down pour.

I had read in Michael Crichton's book, "Jurassic Park" that our
forefathers only spent 20 hours a week accumulating provisions for the
week. He didn't footnote that observation and I've wondered about it
ever since. Now we are civilized and work forty + hours a week. What an
advance for humanity (sarcasm).

It appears that Diamond and Pollan are on the same page. It's an
interesting juxtaposition with Diamond and Pollan recommending getting
back to natural, traditional foods and Charlie's "nano food" post
yesterday, which heralds another attempt by agribusiness to get us to
eat "stuff" which has never existed in our diets, or in nature, before.
Begging the question, "Is it any good for us?", thus taking us even
further away from traditional foods.

Phyto nutrients and bioflavonoids may well be the new frontier in
healthy foods, if we can fight off the strangulation of natural food by
the usual suspects.

"The story so far . . . " Do you know anything about this Dr. Jay
Wortman? I'm just putting my toes into the waters of the cholesterol
controversy by eating "real eggs" (free range from a friend). My A1c was
up on my last test, so I've already started to make adjustments. My
diet is becoming more meat and vegetables (I have no idea when I will
get a chance to use my home made pizza dough that is languishing in the
freezer). I fear this also doesn't bode well for the chocolate almonds.

Very informative articles, thank you.

--
Bush Behind Bars

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 15-03-2008, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:45:14 -0700, Billy wrote:

[...]

google paleolithic diet and see where all it leads you......

Should keep ya busy for a few hours.

Decisions, decisions. Learning and unlearning.

Charlie

Jarod Diamond ends his paper with:

Hunter-gatherers practiced the most successful and longest lasting
lifestyle in human history. In contrast,we're still struggling with the
mess into which agriculture has tumbled us, and it's unclear whether we
can solve it. Suppose that an archaeologist who had visited us from
outer space where trying to explain human history to his fellow
spacelings. He might illustrate the results of his digs by a twenty-four
hour clock on which one hour represents 100,000 years of real past time.
It the history of the human race began at midnight, then we would now be
almost at the end of our first day. We lived as hunter-gatherers for
nearly the whole of that day,from midnight through dawn, noon, and
sunset. Finally, at 11:54 p.m., we adopted agriculture. As our second
midnight approaches, will the plight of famine-stricken peasants
gradually spread to engulf us all? Or will we somehow achieve those
seductive blessings that we imagine behind agriculture's glittering
facade and that have so far eluded us?
-------

Well, at present we can't go back to foraging for nuts and berries, and
grass and acorn fed critters, but we can avoid the twinkies and the
chickens and pork products that are pumped up with high fructose corn
syrup.

I found a local cheese company that makes cheese from grass grazed cows.
My god is it expensive a one pound wedge of Original Blue along with a
one pound block of Vintage White Cheddar ~plus our top secret "knock
your socks off" Mac-n-Cheese recipe! $44.00. First I'm trying to
ascertain if any grain is feed to the cows and how much. Organic and
natural food producers have been known to play fast and loose with image
and reality (Petaluma Poultry for example). I presume I'll be in for
similar sticker shock, when I visit the butcher with the grass fed beef.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
Old 16-03-2008, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:53:40 -0400, Bill wrote:

Rainy day stuff.

Found over in a alt.support.diabetes

Bill

Billy third link is Diamond.

http://www.drjaywortman.com/blog/wordpress/about/

http://www.cbc.ca/thelens/bigfatdiet/

http://www.environnement.ens.fr/pers...mistake_jared_
diamond.pdf

Thanks Bill. We did Atkins six years ago and burned out on it as we
stayed in the induction phase way too long. Had impressive results
though.

Causing me to rethink and sort thru lots of things....

CHarlie

I requested the Atkin's Cook book from the library, as well as the
spinning book, (they said, "Hi", to their faithful supporter JoeSB),
hope the food doesn't all taste like cardboard. Once more into the
breach, dear god, once more into the breach. Well, maybe I'll have my
gorgonzola turkey schnitzel to comfort me.

Old 16-03-2008, 12:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

[...]

Worth a listen.

Bill

http://www.electricpolitics.com/medi...2008.03.14.mp3

March 14, 2008
The Organic Agriculture Movement

Organic food tastes better. It's healthier. It costs a bit more, but
surveys show that, counterintuitively, it isn't consumed
disproportionately by the affluent. And the most remarkable thing:
organic food is increasing its market share relatively quickly. To learn
about the current state of the organic agriculture movement and what
accounts for its success I turned to Dr. Brian Obach, a committed
organic consumer who's been trying to explain social movements for
twenty years. As an organic consumer myself I find Brian's insights
fascinating and surprisingly relevant to larger questions of progressive
political mobilization.

Total runtime an hour and fifteen minutes. Enjoy!

Old 17-03-2008, 03:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Found this over in Misc.invest.stocks

Posted by dirt bag.

"lubow" wrote in message
newsJyAj.3322$e52.2052@trndny01...

These are my top ten reasons for the current mess in the US
financial contagion. What are yours?

0. It is rare that we find a politician who can significantly change
people's lives for better or worse. The usual politician in this
category is in one form or another a genius. You know the names;
some were great, some were diabolical, e.g., Washington, Lincoln,
Roosevelt, LBJ, Hitler, Stalin, Mao. For the first time a complete
incompetent enters this illustrious group for the crime of criminal
stupidity, Pres. George W. Bush.

1. GOP congress' passing and Clinton's signing the bill to repeal
Glass-Steagall

2. Six years of incompetent Treasury secretaries (Hank Paulson seems
to know what he's doing -- too little too late).

3. Seven years of out-of-control deficit spending

4. A demoralizing war that seems to have no end and even less
support

5. Failure to continue Bob Rubin's policy of paying down the
national debt

6. A Federal administration that lacks credibility from the vast
majority of Americans

7. An out of control banking system in an era of "deregulation" (see
(1) above).

8. A corporate culture based on quarterly results having priority
over long term investment.

9. Surrender of the United States' lead in technology, research and
development to cheaper offshore labor for the purpose of better
quarterly and ephemeral results.

10.. A Fed chairman who never worked in the private sector

Item (10) may require a little more explanation. Look at some of
the people who graduated high school with you. Is the wealthiest
fellow graduate also the class valedictorian? In my case, Brooklyn
Technical High School, our wealthiest graduate was a C- student who
made his fortune building a grocery store empire in Manhattan. Our
valedictorian drove a cab for awhile and now sells real estate for
another fellow graduate who was a C student.

Dr. Bernanke was a high school valedictorian who got a job at
Stanford, then Princeton after getting his PhD at MIT (ok, going to
MIT is one thing he got right). But where does the skill set that
enables one to succeed in academics, i.e., good at test taking and
writing about seemingly incomprehensible theory, translate into
running the largest bank in the history of the world? You now see
the results of another bad political appointment along with all
those losers appointed as Secretary of the Treasury.

Where does it end? History of economic turbulence shows that as in
a physical system, economic systems strive to achieve equilibrium.
The difference is that physical systems, like a weight hanging off a
network of pulleys, achieves equilibrium almost instantaneously (in
calculus, they call it dt). Economic systems are different. It
took twenty years, which included a 20% prime rate and the good
fortune to have Bob Rubin at Treasury, to correct the imbalances
caused by Vietnam. IMO, the past seven years has been just as much
a disaster and accomplished just as little as the Vietnam War and it
will take another generation and another Paul Volcker to correct it.

Comments are welcomed.

Do you think the market would move up or down if our dear moron
"decider"President 'bush' (note the all lower case letters in "bush"
the little Wyatt-Twerp) were to kick the bucket? ( I phrased this
gingerly btw to keep my scrawny ass out trouble)

Perhaps we vote... Then hand him over to the terrorists.. to devoured
as they see fit. After all this is the little puke who is the
'decider'. .. Seems fit he goes down with the ship...We can lay much
of this at his administrations feet.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 17-03-2008, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

"lubow" wrote in message
[...]

Bill always was my favorite;-)

Personnaly, I'd settle for the World Criminal Court in the Hague but
gift wrapping our "non-vining", "selected" president for Sayyid Ali
Husaini al-Sistani, or Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the people of Fallujah,
FARC,The Islamic Courts Union, Hizbollah, Hamas, the Ogoni of the
Nigeria river delta, or the survivors of 9/11
(http://www.patriotsquestion911.com/survivors.html), has the ring of
justice to it.

Old 19-03-2008, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

More fertilizer from Misc.invest.Stocks

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

On Mar 18, 1:28 am, wrote:
these are all short seller lies... short seller scum

Comix, pay attention:

Marvin Pierce Bush, the youngest brother of President George W. Bush
is a short seller.

He is a Co-Founder and Managing Partner at the investment firm Winston
Capital Management, located in McLean, Virginia. He has portfolio
manager duties at Winston.

From the Company website:

"Winston's hedge fund products... focus exclusively on ... "long/short
equity" hedge fund strategies."

http://www.winstonpartners.com/investments.html

So what do you say about short selling by the Bush family hedge fund?

Oh, but... it's ok when THEY do it, right?

..
..d

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA