Old 23-03-2008, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Wanted: Gypsy pepper seeds - offering trades

I am looking for seeds from a pepper variety called "Gypsy". I need only
6 to 8 seeds, because I want to try this variety out this year on a very
limited basis. I'm hoping someone else out there might be trying this
variety this year, and be willing to trade a few of their extra seeds away.

Gypsy is a sweet, prolific variety that is supposed to be excellent for
fresh use, stuffing or frying. I particularly liked the small cluster of
seeds in a large inside cavity - looks great for stuffing. I also like how
they appear to go from yellow to orange to red as they ripen - giving you
the choice of 3 colors from a single plant.

In trade, I can offer "Sweet Million" tomato seeds, which are an
improvement on the older "Sweet 100". I can also offer a few seeds of
"Fooled You" hybrid pepper - a virtually 'heat free' jalapeno variety that
still has the great taste, but is excellent for those of us who can't stand
the hotness.

I also have some new packets of lettuce: "Marvel of Four Seasons", "Lolla
Rossa", & "Bibb".

If you might be interested in trying an heirloom variety, I have one that
hasn't been sold in catalogs since the 1940's. I got a sample a couple of
years ago from the USDA, and raised some. It is a very cold hardy variety
called "Ziegler's Heirloom".

Old 24-03-2008, 01:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Gypsy is available almost everywhere online and costs about $2 a packet.
Splurge.

I've already placed my seed order this year, at a place that unfortunately
didn't carry Gypsy, but had everything else I wanted. I've also checked
locally, but haven't found it.

I have found a few places online that carry Gypsy, but it is $3 a packet
or more, plus about $5 in shipping/handling. I just can't bring myself to
pay $8 when I only want 2-3 plants total for my garden.

That's why I got on here asking if anyone would be interested in doing a
trade. I'd much rather avoid an artificially high shipping/handling cost
AND help someone with a trade at the same time. Anyone interested? I grew
up doing seed trades all the time, and was hoping that folks on here still
did that.

Old 24-03-2008, 01:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

OhioGuy wrote:
Gypsy is available almost everywhere online and costs about $2 a packet.
Splurge.

I've already placed my seed order this year, at a place that unfortunately
didn't carry Gypsy, but had everything else I wanted. I've also checked
locally, but haven't found it.

I have found a few places online that carry Gypsy, but it is $3 a packet
or more, plus about $5 in shipping/handling. I just can't bring myself to
pay $8 when I only want 2-3 plants total for my garden.

That's why I got on here asking if anyone would be interested in doing a
trade. I'd much rather avoid an artificially high shipping/handling cost
AND help someone with a trade at the same time. Anyone interested? I grew
up doing seed trades all the time, and was hoping that folks on here still
did that.

If I had some seeds, I'd send them to you. But "Gypsy" is an F1 hybrid,
so it won't come true from seeds. I often save the seeds from hybrids
anyway and the offspring is usually good and *resembles* the parent
variety, but it's seldom the same.

Just thought I'd warn you about the hybrid thing,
Bob
Old 24-03-2008, 02:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

OhioGuy wrote:

I've already placed my seed order this year, at a place that unfortunately
didn't carry Gypsy, but had everything else I wanted. I've also checked
locally, but haven't found it.

I have found a few places online that carry Gypsy, but it is $3 a packet
or more, plus about $5 in shipping/handling. I just can't bring myself to
pay $8 when I only want 2-3 plants total for my garden.

I would check locally a little more. Around here, all the good
gardening stores carry Gypsy Pepper seeds. There are not available at
places like Wal*Mart, Lowes, or any place like that but I'm sure that if
you check the REAL gardening places that you will find them.

By the way, why are you posting from a news server in Italy? The one
that you are using is a well known place where "bad" people post from.
I'm not saying that you are one of them but every time I see a post from
Aioe.org I wonder.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 24-03-2008, 06:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bill R wrote in
:

By the way, why are you posting from a news server in
Italy? The one that you are using is a well known place
where "bad" people post from. I'm not saying that you are
one of them but every time I see a post from Aioe.org I
wonder.

my guess would be because it's one of the few free news
servers left. better aioe than google groups any day!

lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Old 26-03-2008, 03:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 23, 1:44 pm, Steve wrote:
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 12:44:54 -0500, "OhioGuy" wrote:
I am looking for seeds from a pepper variety called "Gypsy".

Gypsy is available almost everywhere online and costs about $2 a
packet. Splurge.

Because a person who admittedly allocates only 50¢ per meal for his
family can't afford to give up the equivalent of four meals for seeds.

[IMG] code is On

Gypsy Moth Eggs dicko[_1_] Gardening 1 27-08-2008 07:52 PM
Blc Momiloni Rainbow 'The Gypsy V_coerulea Orchid Photos 1 17-01-2008 07:15 PM
Gypsy moths jmagerl Gardening 3 25-07-2007 05:43 PM
Pepper Pepper who's got the Pepper? Dan L. Gardening 2 04-04-2007 07:32 PM
Blc. Momilani Rainbow ‘The Gypsy’ Dayton Holmes Orchid Photos 2 16-12-2006 02:06 AM