Old 28-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Registered User

Question Compost Question

Hi all,

I've got a compost bin and was wondering when I should stop adding to it so that I can use well-rotted compost on my veg patch next Spring?

It's a plastic dalek-style compost bin, from the council.

Cheers

Lucretian

PS. See yous all at the Beanpole Festival, the Green Wood Centre, Ironbridge, Shropshire - Sat 19 April, 11am-4pm - the launch of National Beanpole Week -see www.greenwoodcentre.org.uk for more info.
Old 28-03-2008, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Compost Question

In article ,
Lucretian wrote:

Hi all,

I've got a compost bin and was wondering when I should stop adding to
it so that I can use well-rotted compost on my veg patch next Spring?

It's a plastic dalek-style compost bin, from the council.

Cheers

Lucretian

PS. See yous all at the Beanpole Festival, the Green Wood Centre,
Ironbridge, Shropshire - Sat 19 April, 11am-4pm - the launch of
National Beanpole Week -see www.greenwoodcentre.org.uk for more info.

Look at this in time.

Bill

http://www.newfarm.org/depts/NFfield_trials/2006/0413/compost.shtml

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 28-03-2008, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 18:41:17 +0000, Lucretian
wrote:

Hi all,

I've got a compost bin and was wondering when I should stop adding to
it so that I can use well-rotted compost on my veg patch next Spring?

It's a plastic dalek-style compost bin, from the council.

Cheers

Lucretian

Next spring? If I waited THAT long, all my compost would disappear! I
have 4 bins going, and recently have shredded last fall's leaves which
already have been decomposing. For your situation, move the contents
to a chicken wire bin and start again. I guess compost happens fast
in east TN.
Old 29-03-2008, 05:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

"Sitting in a bunker . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KufHG...eature=related
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
Old 29-03-2008, 08:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Lucretian" wrote in message

Hi all,

I've got a compost bin and was wondering when I should stop adding to
it so that I can use well-rotted compost on my veg patch next Spring?

I simply keep adding and when I need the compost dig it all out, use what is
usable & chuck the rest back in the bin.

rob

Old 29-03-2008, 06:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Lucretian" wrote in message

Hi all,

I've got a compost bin and was wondering when I should stop adding to
it so that I can use well-rotted compost on my veg patch next Spring?

It's a plastic dalek-style compost bin, from the council.

Cheers

Lucretian

PS. See yous all at the Beanpole Festival, the Green Wood Centre,
Ironbridge, Shropshire - Sat 19 April, 11am-4pm - the launch of
National Beanpole Week -see www.greenwoodcentre.org.uk for more info.

I just fill one bin, then start filling the other. When I need compost, I shovel
the stuff off the top of the first bin into the second, until I get to good
compost. Then use it up, and repeat the process the other way.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
z z is offline

On Mar 28, 10:25*pm, Charlie wrote:

Very interesting. *Doable at home perhaps, except for where does one
obtain leonardite coal dust? *I couldn't find consumer amounts

leaonardite = "soft coal"; halfway on the road from peat to "real"
coal. gotta say, i hadn't thought of it as compost candidate before.