Old 03-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Registered User

Default is moss growth bad for tulips?

Hello,

I am growing some tulips in a pot. the tulips are about to bloom. but one of the pots has got some moss growth and the moss is spreading.

I removed the moss a few days back but it grew back. Is the moss growth harmful to my tulips?
Old 04-04-2008, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , gardening_guy
wrote:

Hello,

I am growing some tulips in a pot. the tulips are about to bloom. butone

of the pots has got some moss growth and the moss is spreading.

I removed the moss a few days back but it grew back. Is the moss

growthharmful to my tulips?-- gardening_guy

Moss won't hurt the tulips, though what you may actually have is liverwort
which for some odd reason loves to grow over the surface of potting soil,
and also likes sunlight a lot more than most mosses. I don't think it can
keep tulips from poking through & I think it can be kind of pretty, but a
really good "surfacing" of liverwort (unlike moss) can become a water
barrier as it's kind of plasticky, and it can smother seedlings though not
likely bulbs. If it's really a moss the bright-sun mosses tend to be
teeny-tiny and will grow on the sides of pouris pots making them look
hundreds of years old which is pretty cool, though depending on one's
taste I suppose it could look green & slimy to some folks.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com.html
Old 04-04-2008, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

gardening_guy wrote:
Hello,

I am growing some tulips in a pot. the tulips are about to bloom. but
one of the pots has got some moss growth and the moss is spreading.

I removed the moss a few days back but it grew back. Is the moss growth
harmful to my tulips?

No, the moss won't hurt your tulips. Just continue doing what you have
done (dig out the moss) if you don't like it.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 05-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Registered User

thanks for the replies,

so the moss (liverwort) is not hamrful. and basicaly it just affects the aesthetic look(positively/negatively depending on the beholders eye), correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post