Old 06-04-2003, 12:44 AM
Cardigan

Default Best potting mix for dendrobiums?

Hi everyone! What do you recommend as potting mix for dendrobiums? I
haven't had success with dens in the past (too much water), and I just
bought one today that will need to be repotted as soon as it's done
blooming. Thanks!

Sarah

Take off the sweater to reply.

Old 06-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Chris Savas

You didn't say what the current potting medium is for the dendrobium.

All mine are outside except when the weather gets down into the 40's.
Otherwise the are in full morning sun until noon when they are in bright
dayligh. MY potting medium of choice and success is ozmunda. All of my
other plants (epiphytes) are in a mix of tree fern, redwood chips, and sponge
rock. All my plants get watered twice a week and fertilized every other week.
My plants and I are located in east-central Florida.

Regards,
Chris

Old 06-04-2003, 03:08 AM
test

In article ,
"Cardigan" wrote:

Hi everyone! What do you recommend as potting mix for dendrobiums? I
haven't had success with dens in the past (too much water), and I just
bought one today that will need to be repotted as soon as it's done
blooming. Thanks!

Sarah

Take off the sweater to reply.

mine are all in rocks. one's growing a new cane, the other's
growing a cane and a spike. (the third one and i are going to have to
have a little heart to heart about this sit-there-and-do-nothing thing
it's pulling.) however, they were *in* lava what i bought them. what
are yours in? (oh, they are all in an east window in a rowhouse with a
heat pump outside DC.)

--aka janet_a
Old 06-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Jonathan Phua

Hi,
Mine are all in charcoal. All the other growers in asia also use charcoal.

Old 06-04-2003, 03:56 AM
Tracey

What do you recommend as potting mix for dendrobiums?

Have you noticed out of three answers, they're all
different? grin My dendrobiums run the gamut since
I haven't repotted them and they're all still in the
same medium they came to me in. Some in large 'drive-
way sized' gravel. Some in lava racks. Some in wood
chips. Some in sphagnum. One day, I've got to get them
all in the same thing so that I can water them all on
the same schedule.

Tracey

Old 06-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Cardigan

Talk about answers! Now I just have to decide. :-)

I have two dens, one purchased a month ago and the other purchased earlier
today when I made the mistake of going into Island Orchids "just to look" on
my way home from lunch. (The lies we tell ourselves!) One is in rocks, the
other is in the remains of fir bark - the roots have taken over. All of my
orchids are in a north facing window with supplemental light (full spectrum
bulbs) in Colorado Springs.

I'm not sure I want to go with s/h because dens need to dry out. I'll
probably go with a mix of fir bark, perlite, and small gravel.

Thanks everyone! And Janet, you show that orchid who's boss! :-)

Old 06-04-2003, 11:34 PM
Kenni Judd

If, as it sounds, you like to water, lava rock should work well for you. We
add small amounts of charcoal and coco-chips to ours, but straight lava will
also work well.

Good growing,

--
Kenni Judd