Old 14-04-2008, 12:28 AM
Registered User

Default To prune or am I too late....

Hi all,

Rather a newbie here I'm afraid. Very interested in wildlife (www.gbwildlife.co.uk) and now want to learn the gardening side of that.

We had the chance to look over our garden today which has got great potential but has been a little neglected over the last few years. The question is basically is it too late in the year to prune things back (or is that a newbie question and does it depend what I am pruning). We have lots of books but some of the advice seems a little tricky - dont prune if risk of frost which may be as late as May but surely we cant wait too late or everything will be in bloom??

We basically want to prune things back as many shrubs and gotten very tangled and the plants underneath are not getting enough light.

We also seem to have quite boggy soil in parts so may need to look at some drainage (I think due to the fact we live part way down a hill and there is an underlying clay soil).

Thanks for any advice - we are worried about doing more harm that good!

Andrew
Old 14-04-2008, 05:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/13/2008 4:28 PM, andyc123 wrote:
[...]

Yes, the answer depends highly on the plants and on your climate.

What you really need is a comprehensive gardening book that is oriented
to your climate and geography. You might ask at your local public
library.

Two other sources of information would be a good local nursery (not a
lumber yard or hardware store) and the home adviser at your county's
agricultural extension service.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 14-04-2008, 09:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

andyc123 wrote:

[...]

Andrew,

Be aware that if you prune non-dormant plants, you are going to
stimulate growth
as the plant's juices are flowing and it will try to push new growth to
make up for what
you prune off. Better to prune when the plant is dormant, to avoid
this. That would
probably be in the late Winter, in most climates.

Sherwin

Old 15-04-2008, 02:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/14/2008 1:00 AM, sherwindu wrote:

andyc123 wrote:

[...]

Certain flowering trees should be pruned immediately after they flower.
This includes the ornamental varieties of the stone fruits (e.g.,
Japanese flowering cherry). Also, camellias and azaleas are pruned
after they flower. This might also apply to ornamental pome fruits
(e.g., flowering crabapple, evergreen pear).

In a home garden, citrus is pruned throughout the growing season for
appearance and to remove deadwood. Otherwise, it doesn't need pruning
at all. Never prune citrus in the late winter or early spring if frost
is still likely more than 3 weeks later, and don't prune in the fall if
frost is likely within the following 6 weeks.

My loquat flowered in the winter; its fruit is just now starting to
ripen. I'll prune it in the early summer after all fruit has been picked.

The heavy pruning of roses is indeed done in the winter (around New Year
Day for me). Every time I remove a dead rose blossom, however, it is a
form of pruning. I make the cut not merely to remove the flower but
also to shape the bush and direct new growth.

Old 15-04-2008, 08:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

andyc123 wrote:

[...]

Flowers are not my forte, but I thought the kind of pruning you are
suggesting is meant to stimulate further blooming. I think the O.P. wants
to open up his plants and untangle them.

This includes the ornamental varieties of the stone fruits (e.g.,
Japanese flowering cherry). Also, camellias and azaleas are pruned
after they flower. This might also apply to ornamental pome fruits
(e.g., flowering crabapple, evergreen pear).

In a home garden, citrus is pruned throughout the growing season for
appearance and to remove deadwood. Otherwise, it doesn't need pruning
at all. Never prune citrus in the late winter or early spring if frost
is still likely more than 3 weeks later, and don't prune in the fall if
frost is likely within the following 6 weeks.

Living in zone 5, most of my experience is with apples, pears, and stone fruits,
and for those, my suggestions should be ok.

Sherwin

Old 15-04-2008, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/15/2008 12:03 AM, sherwindu wrote [in part]:

I previously wrote [also in part]:

Certain flowering trees should be pruned immediately after they flower.

Flowers are not my forte, but I thought the kind of pruning you are
suggesting is meant to stimulate further blooming. I think the O.P. wants
to open up his plants and untangle them.

You prune flowering stone fruits (and possibly flowering pome fruits)
after they bloom, not to promote additional flowering in the same
season, but to promote the growth that will flower in the next year.
This is a comprehensive pruning, to open up the branch structure, remove
deadwood, and stimulate new growth. It's the same kind of pruning that
I do in January on my fruiting peach tree before it flowers. However, a
comprehensive pruning removes some flowering wood. Thus, you wait until
after ornamental "fruit" trees flower before you prune them.

Old 16-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Registered User

OK, thanks for the input guys, I guess its time to hit the books then. Need to work out what some of the plants/shrubs are first mind! lol

Thanks,

Andrew Crystal
http://www.gbwildlife.co.uk