Old 22-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Registered User

Question Composting urine

I know that using your "wee" on a compost heap is okay as it's high in nitrogen, and that you can compost almost anything that once lived, however, my question is one that i'm sure hasn't been asked before...

I have recently started using a new cat litter for my 2 puss cats. It is compressed pellets of sawdust, which are solid, but when wee'd on, they expand and turn back into sawdust. It great, as wood has a natural ability to absorb odour and the ammonia which traditionally makes cat wee smell. Obviously, they poo in there aswell, but all traces of solid matter are removed and disposed of.

My question quite simply, is just before the wood pellets/sawdust reaches saturation point and is not a pile of sawdusty slop is when I would normally empty the wee'd on sawdust into a plastic bag and bin it. Can I put this on my compost heap to help it along instead?? It seems an awful waste of what seems to me to a perfectly good compostable material!!

Any help most gratefully received!