Old 30-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Registered User

Location: Spain
Default Lemon Tree

We have a lemon tree in a pot on our terrace in Spain.
The leaves are turning yellow, it gets enough water, has stones in bottom so not water logged, situated in bright sun all day.

Any ideas, Pete
Old 01-05-2008, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

Any ideas, Pete

www.shigandtrees.com

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

My mistake:
http://www.shigoandtrees.com

is the correct address for ideas.

John

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..

Any ideas, Pete

www.shigandtrees.com

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

"bluesardine" wrote in message

We have a lemon tree in a pot on our terrace in Spain.
The leaves are turning yellow, it gets enough water, has stones in
bottom so not water logged, situated in bright sun all day.

Any ideas, Pete

Yellow leaves in citrus are a sign of several things but this is probably a
mineral deficiency. Feed during the growing season (spring and summer) with
high nitrogen fertiliser (eg chicken manure) or "citrus food". Don't overdose
especially if using the granulated synthetic chemicals which is very strong or
all the leaves will fall off. Several small feeds are better than one big one
and water it in well. If this is the problem you will see results in a few
months. If this doesn't work give them some trace element supplement.

David

Old 01-05-2008, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

[...]

Trees like lemon manufacture their own food. They are autotrophs. They
however provide food for heterotrophs like humans. While your advice may be
a good thing, calling fertilizers plant food is not. People who say they
feed trees flunked photosynthesis. Providing essential elements sounds like
a promising treatment if they are really lacking. The problem is that no
one has done optimal fertility research for trees to understand exactly what
elements are lacking. No one really cares about that research. However
they fund research they do not understand.

Its hard to properly mulch a tree in a pot. That's you problem right there.
If the pot was huge that would be better. Composted wood and leaves will
provide many essential elements while stimulating benefical bacteria and
micros in soil that make elements avalaible, when applied correctly.

here are two articles addressing the "feeding of trees"
Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html
Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 1, 3:50*am, bluesardine bluesardine.
wrote:
We have a lemon tree in a pot on our terrace in Spain.
The leaves are turning yellow, it gets enough water, has stones in
bottom so not water logged, situated in bright sun all day.

Any ideas, Pete

--
bluesardine

Eveergreen Gardeners

It appears that your soil lacks Iron, Kindly put a rusty nail 3inches
under the soil,
about 6 to inches from the plant.The problem will be solved
B. Shah
Old 01-05-2008, 06:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

Stop with the boring bull! I know how photosynthesis works you drooling
clown.

What is better, a lecture which may be technically correct that is really just
your monomania, or giving the OP the kind of name that he will likely find on
the packet in his local garden shop. Stop and think for a minute.

People who say they
feed trees flunked photosynthesis.

groan!!!! Did you see the quotes around "citrus food". I am trying to help,
you are wanking, in public too.

Providing essential elements sounds like
a promising treatment if they are really lacking. The problem is that no
one has done optimal fertility research for trees to understand exactly what
elements are lacking. No one really cares about that research. However
they fund research they do not understand.

While you are contemplating your navel and considering the funding of research
projects the OP has a sick tree.

Its hard to properly mulch a tree in a pot. That's you problem right there.
If the pot was huge that would be better. Composted wood and leaves will
provide many essential elements while stimulating benefical bacteria and
micros in soil that make elements avalaible, when applied correctly.

At last something useful.

David

Old 01-05-2008, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/30/2008 3:50 PM, bluesardine wrote:
We have a lemon tree in a pot on our terrace in Spain.
The leaves are turning yellow, it gets enough water, has stones in
bottom so not water logged, situated in bright sun all day.

Any ideas, Pete

Citrus requires excellent drainage. In a container, citrus should have
soil that is always moist but never wet. Stones in the bottom of the
pot are not sufficient. You really need drain holes.

Citrus also needs a slightly acidic soil with nitrogen, iron, and zinc.
Blotchy yellow leaves may indeed indicate a lack of zinc. Commercial
citrus fertilizers are acidic and contain nitrogen and iron, but many
fail to include zinc. You may have to special-order zinc sulfate; a 1kg
or 2kg bag should last for years. A pinch of Epsom salts (magnesium
sulfate) now and then may also be beneficial; it should promote the
branching of new shoots.

Feed lightly and frequently. Always make sure the soil is moist before
feeding and then water lightly right after feeding.

Once the plant seems to be recovering, it should have some phosphorus to
promote fruiting. Phosphorus does not readily dissolve and travel
through the soil; instead, it must be placed where the roots can find
it. Take a length of steel rebar or a thin stick and poke 3 or 4 holes
at least 25 cm into the soil about halfway between the trunk and the
edge of the pot. Fill the holes halfway with bone meal.
(Superphosphate might be too strong for the confined roots.)

See my http://www.rossde.com/garden/dwarf_citrus.html.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 01-05-2008, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

Stop with the boring bull! I know how photosynthesis works you drooling
clown.

Explain than how you feed a tree.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

What is better, a lecture which may be technically correct that is really
just
your monomania, or giving the OP the kind of name that he will likely find
on
the packet in his local garden shop. Stop and think for a minute.

People who say they
feed trees flunked photosynthesis.

Consider poor Joe who liked alcohol. Drank methanol rather than ethanol. He
then quickly learned, as his brain got burned. That words are important
after all.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Agree -- Yellow leaves could be caused by several things, but the most
common problem with potted citrus is that they stay too moist, and yellow
leaves are one indication of that problem. I think that should be your
first concern, and if your pot has only stones in the bottom and no drain
holes, you almost certainly have an excess moisture issue.

There's more information at
http://www.treehelp.com/trees/citrus...ted-citrus.asp and at
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...inerstext.html

Old 02-05-2008, 04:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 May 2008 17:35:26 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

Explain than how you feed a tree.

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!

Now, thats not very nice.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

wrote:

Explain than how you feed a tree.

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!

V.....relax....breathe in, breathe out...

It is not worth your being disturbed like this.

Peace
Charlie

If John ever learns how to communicate, he might be helpful. In the mean
time, he is a pain in the tuchus.
--

Billy
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0s...eature=related
Old 02-05-2008, 10:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

Stop with the boring bull! I know how photosynthesis works you drooling
clown.

Explain than how you feed a tree.

--

Thus you demonstrate that you have entirely missed the point AGAIN. I give
up.

David

Old 04-05-2008, 03:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

I would suggest you might check the ph of the soil. My water has a ph of 8
and I find that over time the soil also becomes more basic. Lemons like a
slightly acidic soil and I have to regularly give a dose of acid fertilizer
(once a month) to keep the leaves shiny and dark green.