Old 04-05-2008, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Herbs?

Could someone refresh my memory on herbs that are for pain. I use to
have one and can not remember the name. My friend here is really sick
and I would like to buy herbs that would help him. I have lemon and
peppermint already but lost all the rest in a move. Thanks, Judy
Old 04-05-2008, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
gardenlife wrote:

Could someone refresh my memory on herbs that are for pain. I use to
have one and can not remember the name. My friend here is really sick
and I would like to buy herbs that would help him. I have lemon and
peppermint already but lost all the rest in a move. Thanks, Judy

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/mgmh.html

There are all sorts of chronic pain and I feel it usually means
touching base with an allopath.

Bill who doesn't like curing via opposites vs like cures like.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 04-05-2008, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"gardenlife" wrote in message
Could someone refresh my memory on herbs that are for pain. I use to
have one and can not remember the name. My friend here is really sick
and I would like to buy herbs that would help him. I have lemon and
peppermint already but lost all the rest in a move. Thanks, Judy

Poppies come to mind but it will take a bit of post harvest processing. One
thing that you really need to be aware of when you venture into self
medicating with herbs. OTC (over the counter) and prescription pain
medications can have *very* adverse or deadly consequences when combined
with herbal remedies or supplements. There was an article in the news not
long ago about people who died in the ER from Rx and herbal combinations.
Drinking chamomile tea while taking oxycodone had caused heart failure.
Ginger, garlic, St John's Wort and comfrey I also remember mentioned as the
cause for respiratory and kidney failure deaths in people taking some
medications. Ginkgo, among other herbs, with aspirin and NSAIDs was also a
potentially deadly combination. This is nothing to take lightly.

If your friend is all that seriously ill he's most likely, or should be,
under a doctor's care and probably taking prescribed medications or pain
relievers. Some conditions even not being treated with prescription
medications can have very negative reactions to herbal treatments or
supplements. Check with a good pharmacist or knowledgeable medical
professional and make sure he tells his doctor what you want to give him
BEFORE you do so. Just because it's "an herb" doesn't mean it's harmless. It
would be a shame if you killed your friend with kindness.

Val

Old 04-05-2008, 07:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
gardenlife wrote:

Could someone refresh my memory on herbs that are for pain. I use to
have one and can not remember the name. My friend here is really sick
and I would like to buy herbs that would help him. I have lemon and
peppermint already but lost all the rest in a move. Thanks, Judy

What kind of pain?

Papaver somniferum is efficacious for all sorts of pain, but there can
be some side effects to your liberty.

Willow bark will work in minor pain.

Otherwise take a look at
http://www.holistic-online.com/Remed...back_herbs.htm

or you may want to post your request on alt.folklore.herbs.

Good luck.
--

Billy
http://www.counterpunch.org/martin05022008.html
Old 04-05-2008, 09:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Persephone wrote:

On Sun, 04 May 2008 14:49:22 -0500, Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 04 May 2008 11:04:16 -0700, Billy wrote:

In article
,
gardenlife wrote:

Could someone refresh my memory on herbs that are for pain. I use to
have one and can not remember the name. My friend here is really sick
and I would like to buy herbs that would help him. I have lemon and
peppermint already but lost all the rest in a move. Thanks, Judy

What kind of pain?

Papaver somniferum is efficacious for all sorts of pain, but there can
be some side effects to your liberty.

Which variety do you think is best....Peshwar White, Danish Flag, Black
Peony, Flemish Antique, Hungarian Blue Breadseed?? Grown for the
abundance of culinary seed of course, and, uh, dried pods for
arrangements.........

Willow bark will work in minor pain.

Otherwise take a look at
http://www.holistic-online.com/Remed...back_herbs.htm

or you may want to post your request on alt.folklore.herbs.

Good luck.

PLEASE, PLEASE, check with your doctor! I am not wedded to
conventional or otherwise medical care; I just know for a fact that
there have been too many cases where herbal remedies interacted
negatively with a prescription medicine the person was already taking.
(In case you are...)

HTH

Persephone

Sometimes it not some weird plant but something in our icebox.

Consider grapefruit juice .

Bill who wonder why I can't grow grapefruit yet it is second nature.
Hmmm Polan comes to mind yet again.

1: Nutr J. 2007 Oct 30;6:33.
Links

Medicinal importance of grapefruit juice and its interaction with
various drugs.

Kiani J, Imam SZ.
Medical College, Aga Khan University, Stadium Road, Karachi, Pakistan.

Grapefruit juice is consumed widely in today's health conscious world as
a protector against cardiovascular diseases and cancers. It has however,
been found to be an inhibitor of the intestinal cytochrome P - 450 3A4
system, which is responsible for the first pass metabolism of many
drugs. The P - glycoprotein pump, found in the brush border of the
intestinal wall which transports many of these cytochrome P - 450 3A4
substrates, has also been implicated to be inhibited by grapefruit
juice. By inhibiting these enzyme systems, grapefruit juice alters the
pharmacokinetics of a variety of medications, leading to elevation of
their serum concentrations. Most notable are its effects on the calcium
channel antagonist and the statin group of drugs. In the case of many
drugs, the increased serum concentration has been found to be associated
with increased frequency of dose dependent adverse effects. In this
review, we have discussed the phytochemistry of grapefruit juice, the
various drugs involved in the drug - grapefruit juice reaction with
their mechanisms of action and have presented the clinical implications
of these interactions.
PMID: 17971226 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 04-05-2008, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

gardenlife wrote:

Could someone refresh my memory on herbs that are for pain. I use to
have one and can not remember the name. My friend here is really sick
and I would like to buy herbs that would help him. I have lemon and
peppermint already but lost all the rest in a move. Thanks, Judy

What kind of pain?

Papaver somniferum is efficacious for all sorts of pain, but there can
be some side effects to your liberty.

Which variety do you think is best....Peshwar White, Danish Flag, Black
Peony, Flemish Antique, Hungarian Blue Breadseed?? Grown for the
abundance of culinary seed of course, and, uh, dried pods for
arrangements.........

When it come to your liberty they are equally efficacious.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

gardenlife wrote:

[...]

I'm feeling faint.
--

Billy
http://www.counterpunch.org/martin05022008.html

[IMG] code is On

Herbs and Roses [email protected] Gardening 13 17-04-2009 05:35 PM
Ecoaromuz organic herbs and essential oils Lluisa Plant Biology 0 19-03-2003 08:56 PM
Greenhouse for herbs? JoAnna Edible Gardening 3 09-02-2003 03:37 PM
Greenhouse for herbs? JoAnna Gardening 3 09-02-2003 03:36 PM
herbs in winter Andy Spragg United Kingdom 1 28-09-2002 09:26 AM