Old 06-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Registered User

Default growing plants for security as well as aesthics

For security reasons, I am looking for a quick growing, thick and prickly solution to a fence that borders a public highway.

can you recommend some planting for this? I rather go down this route than for generic broken glass and barbed wire.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"grincherum" wrote in message

For security reasons, I am looking for a quick growing, thick and
prickly solution to a fence that borders a public highway.

can you recommend some planting for this? I rather go down this route
than for generic broken glass and barbed wire.

So where do you live? That information is a great help if plant
recommendations are needed. The other thing you might do is check with local
authorities about your liability when some wandering ner-do-well trespasser
is impaled on this stuff.

Portland homeowner is fed up after 5th burglary from scum bags accessing his
property from railroad line that runs along his property. Homeowner plants
highly effective naturalized security barrier. Scum bag is trapped and
impaled on thorny Pyracantha (marvelously lethal shrub) with loot swiped
from locked garden shed (window broken out for access). Scum bag gets 30 day
deferred sentence, homeowner gets nailed with a $2.5 million law suit for
bodily injury and undue mental anguish to scum bag. Scum bag wins. .......go
figure.

Val

Old 06-05-2008, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 6, 10:57 am, grincherum
wrote:
For security reasons, I am looking for a quick growing, thick and
prickly solution to a fence that borders a public highway.

can you recommend some planting for this? I rather go down this route
than for generic broken glass and barbed wire.

No one has ever managed to cut through my 15 foot deep
mixed raspberry - rosa multiflora hedge. Step one foot
in, and you'll need a pruning shear to cut yourself free.

Dunno where you're located in the UK, but didn't your
hedgerows stop Sherman tanks in WWII?
Old 09-05-2008, 05:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

The hedgerows were in France.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

grincherum wrote:

For security reasons, I am looking for a quick growing, thick and
prickly solution to a fence that borders a public highway.

can you recommend some planting for this? I rather go down this route
than for generic broken glass and barbed wire.

Osage:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...06/ai_65774772
Old 09-05-2008, 03:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Sheldon wrote:

grincherum wrote:

For security reasons, I am looking for a quick growing, thick and
prickly solution to a fence that borders a public highway.

can you recommend some planting for this? I rather go down this route
than for generic broken glass and barbed wire.

Osage:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...06/ai_65774772

Here is another one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugosa_Rose