Old 13-05-2008, 03:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Establishing roots

When planting new plants, bushes, and the like how long would you expect it
to take for the roots to establish themselves?

When I purchased my Thyme it was recommended that I keep the soil moist
until the roots had a chance to establish themselves, afterwhich they should
be reasonably drought tolerant. So I'm wondering generally speaking how
long is that anyway?

Old 13-05-2008, 11:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
When planting new plants, bushes, and the like how long would you expect
it to take for the roots to establish themselves?

When I purchased my Thyme it was recommended that I keep the soil moist
until the roots had a chance to establish themselves, afterwhich they
should be reasonably drought tolerant. So I'm wondering generally
speaking how long is that anyway?

Proper root pruning would help the tree roots respond properly.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...t_pruning.html

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 14-05-2008, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 May 2008 23:35:56 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
"Eigenvector" wrote:

When planting new plants, bushes, and the like how long would you expect
it
to take for the roots to establish themselves?

When I purchased my Thyme it was recommended that I keep the soil moist
until the roots had a chance to establish themselves, afterwhich they
should
be reasonably drought tolerant. So I'm wondering generally speaking how
long is that anyway?

3 months

Mmmm, not with thyme, sorry to say. Herbaceous plants recouperate and
develop root hairs much faster than poor root systems on things like
roses, blueberries, and many trees. I would say to keep the soil
moist, not wet. Thyme will definitely die if you over water it. It
will show the same symptoms as a plant which is dried out...crispy
foliage, loss of leaves, etc. Feel the soil with your hand and if it
is dry, water it. You want the roots to stretch to the capillary
water. If you keep water too near the existing roots they will not
push out into the soil, but it will just wrap around and around.

Hmm, might explain what happened to my first batch. They got planted then
it rained practically every day for weeks on end. But I'll take your advice
and keep the ground moist and not soaked.

Old 15-05-2008, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

symplastless said:

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
When planting new plants, bushes, and the like how long would you expect
it to take for the roots to establish themselves?

When I purchased my Thyme it was recommended that I keep the soil moist
until the roots had a chance to establish themselves, afterwhich they
should be reasonably drought tolerant. So I'm wondering generally
speaking how long is that anyway?

Proper root pruning would help the tree roots respond properly.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...t_pruning.html

Stoopid, clooless ****.

Where the hell did you see a question about tree roots in the OP? Thyme is
(please take note, for once in your feeble, unimportant, little life, of
this) *NOT A ****ING TREE*. Not every plant is a tree, dumbass. Not every
plant behaves/grows/has the same needs as a tree.

What about that do you fail to comprehend?
--

Eggs

Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery?