Old 28-05-2008, 12:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Question about mountain laurels

Hello,

We have been in this house for three years now. The first year we had
mountain laurels and they bloomed around the end of may. Last year
they didn't bloom at all. This year they havent bloomed yet and when I
drive around Mt. Laurel NJ I see the blooms on the side of the road.

Any idea about what is going on?

--
Alan Spitz

Old 28-05-2008, 01:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 28 May 2008 11:43:12 GMT, Alan Spitz
wrote:

Hello,

We have been in this house for three years now. The first year we had
mountain laurels and they bloomed around the end of may. Last year
they didn't bloom at all. This year they havent bloomed yet and when I
drive around Mt. Laurel NJ I see the blooms on the side of the road.

Any idea about what is going on?

I don't know why yours have not bloomed. I don't see any mountain
laurels here in the valley, but in the mountains they are currently in
full bloom. They seem to be particular about where they grow and are
sensitive to climate changes. It may not help this year, but you
could put a layer of mulch around them and hope for the best in 2009.
Old 28-05-2008, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Hello,

We have been in this house for three years now. The first year we had
mountain laurels and they bloomed around the end of may. Last year
they didn't bloom at all. This year they havent bloomed yet and when I
drive around Mt. Laurel NJ I see the blooms on the side of the road.

Any idea about what is going on?

I don't know why yours have not bloomed. I don't see any mountain
laurels here in the valley, but in the mountains they are currently in
full bloom. They seem to be particular about where they grow and are
sensitive to climate changes. It may not help this year, but you
could put a layer of mulch around them and hope for the best in 2009.

Mulch, composted tree trimmings, not fresh chips, would be best if kept away
from trunk at least 6". No more than 3-4" thick and flat.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Mountain Laurel are unique regarding the cambial electrical resistance.

Also with the mulch a dose of micro-elements would not be a bad idea.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 29-05-2008, 01:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Are you sure they are Mountain Laurel, and not Rhododendrums ? Many folks
use the names of these two distinct plants interchangably, but that is
incorrect of course as they are two different plants.

If they turn out to be Rhododendrums, then if they are **native** plants,
they will not bloom every year. The hybrid Rhododendrums bloom each year.

James

[IMG] code is On

free mountain laurels Treedweller Texas 0 27-05-2005 07:00 PM
Who is Eating My Laurels? Mr Green United Kingdom 3 22-07-2004 06:18 PM
Advice on Laurels LongYP United Kingdom 4 21-04-2004 09:46 PM
pruning laurels chaz United Kingdom 3 10-07-2003 12:49 AM
Newbie Question-MT Laurels fgriff1 Gardening 6 24-06-2003 01:20 AM