Old 21-04-2004, 02:06 PM
LongYP

Default Advice on Laurels

My first post to this group, I hope you can help - it's good to see it is
busy

Last couple of years I have been trying to grow a laurel hedge - roughly 10
trees (£6.99 ea. , so I started small) - Of the 10, probably 6 have taken
well, whilst the others I find are yellowing, and although there are new
shoots/leaves on them, their growth rate has been minimal..

Are they sick and need replacing or have I managed to mix some dwarf laurels
(if these exist) with the standard laurels?

Any help appreciated..thanks.

Old 21-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Emrys Davies

It may well be that they are suffering from lack of water.

Gently dig around one of the sickly ones to see whether the roots have
grown out from the original ball. At the same time you will be able to
establish whether it is suffering from drought.

If it is lack of moisture, make sure that each shrub is watered
thoroughly and that means a slow trickle for a considerable time as it
is difficult to penetrate a compacted rootball.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 21-04-2004, 03:08 PM
JennyC

"LongYP" wrote in message
My first post to this group, I hope you can help - it's good to see it is
busy

Last couple of years I have been trying to grow a laurel hedge - roughly 10
trees (£6.99 ea. , so I started small) - Of the 10, probably 6 have taken
well, whilst the others I find are yellowing, and although there are new
shoots/leaves on them, their growth rate has been minimal..

Are they sick and need replacing or have I managed to mix some dwarf laurels
(if these exist) with the standard laurels?

Any help appreciated..thanks.

Might be nitrogen deficiency. You could try feeding it.
Jenny

Old 21-04-2004, 09:46 PM
rts rts is offline
Registered User

Location: preston

laurel are often attacked by vine weevil. The vine weevil grubs eat the roots over the winter, often causing the symptons you descibe. The grubs hatch out during the spring this allows the roots to recover enough to keep the plant alive but stop it growing away strongly. The only visible sign during the summer are distinctive notching of the leaves. You would think they would attack all the plants at once but we often find one plant in a row can be attacked. If you dig round the base of the worst plant you might still find some of the grubs - white about half to one inch.
we find biological control (nematodes) works extremely well

Quote:
Originally posted by LongYP
My first post to this group, I hope you can help - it's good to see it is
busy

Last couple of years I have been trying to grow a laurel hedge - roughly 10
trees (£6.99 ea. , so I started small) - Of the 10, probably 6 have taken
well, whilst the others I find are yellowing, and although there are new
shoots/leaves on them, their growth rate has been minimal..

Are they sick and need replacing or have I managed to mix some dwarf laurels
(if these exist) with the standard laurels?

Any help appreciated..thanks.

Advice re Laurels please Rodders United Kingdom 4 08-08-2004 10:30 PM
Who is Eating My Laurels? Mr Green United Kingdom 3 22-07-2004 06:18 PM
Who is Eating My Laurels? Mr Green United Kingdom 4 21-07-2004 11:31 PM
pruning laurels chaz United Kingdom 3 10-07-2003 12:49 AM
Newbie Question-MT Laurels fgriff1 Gardening 6 24-06-2003 01:20 AM