Old 13-06-2008, 12:36 AM
Registered User

Default unusual foxglove?

i have a number of standard purple foxgloves in my garden,they have self seeded for many years.I noticed one of them was different to any i had seen befor.The plant has its usual purple trumpet like flowers pointing down,but at the very top,the flower has lost its trumpet shape,its opend up into a disc shape,it has the same colours but is maybe 5 or 6 times the size and has a large center point (stamen?) is this common? i have never seen one like it befor,i will see if my daughter can download a picture tommorow
Old 13-06-2008, 01:42 AM
Registered User

I saw hundreds like that in the forest like that today.

never seen them like that before.
Old 13-06-2008, 02:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message , philh
writes

i have a number of standard purple foxgloves in my garden,they have
self
seeded for many years.I noticed one of them was different to any i had
seen befor.The plant has its usual purple trumpet like flowers pointing
down,but at the very top,the flower has lost its trumpet shape,its
opend
up into a disc shape,it has the same colours but is maybe 5 or 6 times
the size and has a large center point (stamen?) is this common? i have
never seen one like it befor,i will see if my daughter can download a
picture tommorow

It's a reasonably well known variant. It's called a peloric foxglove.
Peloric flowers occur in other genera as well.

The large centre point is more likely a style than a stamen.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 14-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Registered User

I don't usually use that many "like that" like that in messages like that.
Old 25-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
I don't usually use that many "like that" like that in messages like that.

thanks kev and stewart for your replys