Old 20-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Registered User

Default Laurel leaves

Hi,

After pruning my laurel hedge, I now have lots of prunings ~ 2 cu metres ( in 1 ton bags)

After searching the internet, I found conflicting advice about what can safely be done with them as apparently they contain prussic acid which is poisonous. Does anyone know the best way to use them in the garden or allotment?
Old 20-06-2008, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/20/2008 7:19 AM, flimbin wrote:
Hi,

After pruning my laurel hedge, I now have lots of prunings ~ 2 cu
metres ( in 1 ton bags)

After searching the internet, I found conflicting advice about what can
safely be done with them as apparently they contain prussic acid which
is poisonous. Does anyone know the best way to use them in the garden
or allotment?

If your "laurel" is Laurus nobilis (bay laurel or Grecian laurel), enjoy
it. It's bay leaves are used to season gravies, soups, and meat dishes.

If your "laurel" is Prunus caroliniana (Carolina laurel cherry), P.
laurocerasus (English laurel), or P. lusitanica (Portugal laurel), the
leaves can indeed be quite toxic. But this is true of the leaves of all
Prunus species, including peaches, plums, almonds, cherries, etc. A
single fresh leaf of a peach tree can kill a small child. To some
extent, the kernels inside the pits of Prunus species are also toxic.
Almonds should be eaten in moderation; a single almond-like kernel from
a peach pit can kill a person. However, the leaves can still be
composted or used as a mulch. The prussic acid (cyanide) breaks down
during composting and does not contaminate edible plants.

If your "laurel" is Umbellularia californica (California laurel), the
leaves can substitute for the bay leaves from L. nobilis. However, use
them sparingly since the flavor of U. californica is much stronger than
the flavor of L. nobilis. Also, some people might be allergic to U.
californica.

Here we have three different genuses of "laurel". One is the commercial
source of an herb. One is quite toxic. And one might be an herb
substitute. That's why the botanical names of plants are important, to
distinguish which plant is really meant when the same common name is
applied to different species.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 23-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Registered User

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I am fairly sure they are cherry laurel, but it's so long since I planted them that I cant remember. However, from what you have said, they are safe to use in the garden but I shouldn't eat them or feed them to the neighbours' children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E. Ross View Post

Old 23-06-2008, 12:53 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimbin View Post
Hi,

After pruning my laurel hedge, I now have lots of prunings ~ 2 cu metres ( in 1 ton bags)

After searching the internet, I found conflicting advice about what can safely be done with them as apparently they contain prussic acid which is poisonous. Does anyone know the best way to use them in the garden or allotment?

There is only one way. Place them in a bin.
Old 23-06-2008, 07:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Please Help! I'm Addicted

In article ,
Kate_Garraway wrote:

This might seem really strange, but I've developed a worrying fetish for
doing dirty things with nettles.

Rinse them off first ;o)

I would carry on, but its starting to
really sting and its damaging my social life. My friends think I'm
really weirdUnfortunately for me, my wife wants nothing to do with them
and won't let me introduce them to the bedroom.

At least it wouldn't be her first mistake.

What can I do?! Are there any othewr memers who have experienced
similar nettle-related problems?

prickly problems?

Any help wil be appreciated

Make it professional, and get your keyboard cleaned.

Why so timid? You signed as Kate. Be proud to be whatever kind of
weirdo that you are.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Old 23-06-2008, 07:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Kate_Garraway
wrote:

This might seem really strange, but I've developed a worrying fetish for
doing dirty things with nettles. I would carry on, but its starting to
really sting and its damaging my social life. My friends think I'm
really weirdUnfortunately for me, my wife wants nothing to do with them
and won't let me introduce them to the bedroom.

What can I do?! Are there any othewr memers who have experienced
similar nettle-related problems?

Any help wil be appreciated

Nettle fetish is common among sadomasochistic men so I believe that part
of your post, which is the UseNet equivalent of pervy guys who call
strangers on the phone to wack off. The lucious Kate Garraway of the
bobbly boobs is likewise popular among the men alone at their computers.
Perhaps you should use the slightly more honest handle John Nettleton,
star of Blue Pecker.
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com