Old 21-06-2008, 11:23 PM
Registered User

Default Rowan Tree

Hello, my first post is about a Rowan tree i have acquired! It is a young one, about half a metre of growth on it. I have the roots sitting in a tub of water just now but i want to obviously put it in the ground. The problem is that i havnt yet completed digging the turf up in my garden and getting it ready for plants.

The ground under the turf is awful. We are in a steading conversion and the people who built it put the turf on ground of stones mainly it seems. So we need to get some more soil in.

How long can it last in this tub? Can i plant it into a pot for now?
Old 23-06-2008, 04:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 23:23:17 +0100, pagan
wrote:

Hello, my first post is about a Rowan tree i have acquired! It is a
young one, about half a metre of growth on it. I have the roots sitting
in a tub of water just now but i want to obviously put it in the ground.
The problem is that i havnt yet completed digging the turf up in my
garden and getting it ready for plants.

The ground under the turf is awful. We are in a steading conversion and
the people who built it put the turf on ground of stones mainly it
seems. So we need to get some more soil in.

How long can it last in this tub? Can i plant it into a pot for now?

Yes, plant it in a nicely sized container and mix some of the native
soil where you plan to plant it in with the potting mix. I'd say a
third of soil and two thirds of potting mix. Do not amend the soil
where the tree will be planted or you will have a very unhealthy tree
in several years. The roots are always best to be planted in a jagged
hole using the native soil to back fill the hole. Get it out of the
water immediately. It will not thrive at all in summer. Does it have
foliage?

never heard of this tree. Tell me, is it a ring porous, diffuse or conifer?
What properties are you interested in with this tree?
Other than that.

Good suggestions and I would like to add this for planting as well as caring
for it once it is established. Pruning of the stem and fertilizing should
waite until the second year.
Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry) I do not endorse products. I do
use fertilizer with close to zero nitrogen and all of the micro elements
essential for the trees. Here are some words on fertilizer and chemistry.
Remember, water is a chemical. Too much or too little is injurious for a
tree. normally in forest undisturbed such as old growth, the trees that
survive are most likely those that had good nurse logs during severe
drought. Nurse logs are water reservoirs for trees during dryer times at
specific ecological stages.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

Old 24-06-2008, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 23:10:53 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

never heard of this tree. Tell me, is it a ring porous, diffuse or
conifer?
What properties are you interested in with this tree?
Other than that.

The original question was to plant it in a container or would it
survive in the water in a bucket, its current planter.

Sorbus aucuparia

Do a search to find out what it is. It's a rather popular tree.

If you are that familiar with this tree then please do tell me if it is
ring, diffuse or conifer. If you do not know than just say so.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 24-06-2008, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 21:05:45 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

never heard of this tree. Tell me, is it a ring porous, diffuse or
conifer?
What properties are you interested in with this tree?
Other than that.

The original question was to plant it in a container or would it
survive in the water in a bucket, its current planter.

Sorbus aucuparia

Do a search to find out what it is. It's a rather popular tree.

If you are that familiar with this tree then please do tell me if it is
ring, diffuse or conifer. If you do not know than just say so.

Oh for [snip] sake, it's a dicot, seed producing in the family rosacea.
I don't give a damn about your "biology" jargon. Useless here.

I would say that you have not dissected this tree, do not know what type of
vessel or tracheids arrangement it has dictating its water requirements.
Just wanted to make sure. Just because you do not understand the anatomy of
the specific tree does not mean that understanding the anatomy is not
required to understand treatments. The opposite. The more you know about
the anatomy of a species the more you will understand its treatments. The
reason I asked was because the way people were answering I thought they
understood the tree? My mistake.
If you do not care about the biology of a plant why would you think you
should comment on the biology of the tree?

Old 24-06-2008, 05:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:

[...]

Since you know squat about biology, trees, forests, nature, etc, other than
pimping Shigo's work, why should anyone consider you anything other than a
yard man trying to be something he will never manage to be?

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting yard man
http://home.ccild.org/~treeman
and www.treeddictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.

Old 24-06-2008, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 21, 6:23*pm, pagan wrote:
Hello, my first post is about a Rowan tree i have acquired! It is a
young one, about half a metre of growth on it. I have the roots sitting
in a tub of water just now but i want to obviously put it in the ground.
The problem is that i havnt yet completed digging the turf up in my
garden and getting it ready for plants.

The ground under the turf is awful. We are in a steading conversion and
the people who built it put the turf on ground of stones mainly it
seems. So we need to get some more soil in.

How long can it last in this tub? Can i plant it into a pot for now?

--
pagan

It will die if left in water because the roots need to exchange gasses
with the air to survive.

Make some sloppy mud slurry to coat the roots and plant in soil in a
container or in the ground asap, part shade and wind protection will
help.

good tree for a pagan
Old 25-06-2008, 04:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

omsupplyinc...

"Jangchub" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 21:05:45 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

Don Staples - Consulting Salvage Hog
http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/Services/salvage.htm

Fisrt you have to understand the organism you are trying to help.
Dissections have given great understanding of trees and their associates to
many people that have dissected them. You however claiming to be a
consulting forester which you refuse to define just what you mean on your
website (http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/forestry/staples.htm ) should be
well aware of the understanding they recieved by dissecting trees. I know
many foresters with a thorough understanding of tree biology. They are the
teachers, they are the researchers. You are a practicing forester and do
not communicate well with others with wisdom to offer. Ref:
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...102/index.html Written
by The Father of A NEW TREE BIOLOGY. That and others can be found on their
website a www.shigoandtrees.com What do you have to bring to the table,
Don Staples?

Old 25-06-2008, 04:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

"beecrofter" wrote in message
On Jun 21, 6:23 pm, pagan wrote:
Hello, my first post is about a Rowan tree i have acquired! It is a
young one, about half a metre of growth on it. I have the roots sitting
in a tub of water just now but i want to obviously put it in the ground.
The problem is that i havnt yet completed digging the turf up in my
garden and getting it ready for plants.

The ground under the turf is awful. We are in a steading conversion and
the people who built it put the turf on ground of stones mainly it
seems. So we need to get some more soil in.

How long can it last in this tub? Can i plant it into a pot for now?

--
pagan

It will die if left in water because the roots need to exchange gasses
with the air to survive.

That is true but in some cases a tree can pump oxygen down for respiration.
So we think. I was hoping someone knew enough about this tree to tell us if
it pumps oxygen down. So do. Look at the trees in the swamps in Louisiana.
They pump the oxygen down. Called Aerenchyma - A large intercellular space
system extremely effective in water and swamp plants in pumping oxygen down
to the roots. [Page 211 Lyr and Hoffman 1967]

Old 25-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan View Post
Hello, my first post is about a Rowan tree i have acquired! It is a young one, about half a metre of growth on it. I have the roots sitting in a tub of water just now but i want to obviously put it in the ground. The problem is that i havnt yet completed digging the turf up in my garden and getting it ready for plants.

The ground under the turf is awful. We are in a steading conversion and the people who built it put the turf on ground of stones mainly it seems. So we need to get some more soil in.

How long can it last in this tub? Can i plant it into a pot for now?
It will drown if left in the water.

For now plant it up in a good sized pot with good loam based compost. Keep it watered but not wet, and keep it in the shade so its leaves do not dry out. You can plant it out in the autumn this year or in the spring next year.

Old 26-06-2008, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

On Jun 21, 6:23 pm, pagan wrote:

[...]

Does the freaking common name "Mountain Ash" suggest that this tree is
not a swamp dweller?

beecrofter and others, remember the cautionary tale of "Br'er Rabbit and
the Tar Baby". Dee mo' yo mess wit it, dee wouse it gets, mmm, mmm, mmm.
There are some folk that think that they have an infinite amount of time
to throw down a "black hole" and think maybe it will have some effect,
but more practical folk will watch where they step. 'Nuff said.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

[IMG] code is On

Rowan tree Rodders United Kingdom 3 17-09-2005 02:04 PM
Rowan tree cuttings Stuart Forbes United Kingdom 5 04-02-2004 01:12 PM
Rowan tree cuttings Stuart Forbes United Kingdom 1 03-02-2004 11:17 PM
Rowan tree cuttings Stuart Forbes United Kingdom 4 03-02-2004 09:25 PM
Rowan tree cuttings Stuart Forbes United Kingdom 0 03-02-2004 09:01 PM