Old 25-06-2008, 03:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Survived the hail storm

Well the garden did, the house did, the kids thought it was "kewl" but the
truck has a cracked windshield.

I know we were lucky and the teenaged son was beaned by a pea sized
piece....

Cheryl

Old 26-06-2008, 11:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak said:

Well the garden did, the house did, the kids thought it was "kewl" but

the
truck has a cracked windshield.

I know we were lucky and the teenaged son was beaned by a pea sized
piece....

The garden pretty much OK. The lettuce and basil look pretty sad
(the lettuce leave because they are large and soft, the basil because
it's so temperature sensative).

I noticed the hostas in one of the huge planters downtown seem
to really have caught the brunt of the hail (very exposed) and look
like they've been clawed by cats (daughter's description).

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Old 26-06-2008, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Well the garden did, the house did, the kids thought it was "kewl" but the
truck has a cracked windshield.

I know we were lucky and the teenaged son was beaned by a pea sized
piece....

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl!

Glad to hear y'all made it pretty much ok! I didn't realize there was
any bad weather like that up there! Of course, I haven't been keeping up
with the weather reports that much lately. We had a huge hail storm here
about a month ago. The hail stones ranged from pea sized to just about
golf ball size...I just knew it was gonna bust the windshield on our
vehicles then, but we were lucky in that department. Did do a number on
the corn, cucumber plants, and collards as well as several of my roses,
irises, and a few other plants. Don't know how we managed to get out of
it without any broken glass though. Some areas nearby us had hail from
that same storm that was 2 inches in diameter! Guess I better knock on
wood for us (not that I'm the superstitious type!) because we do get
hail storms here at least 3 times per year! I can see how your kids
thought it was kewl, because even though I worry about how our vehicles,
livestock, pets, and crops will fare, it's still pretty amazing to see!

~Rae
Old 26-06-2008, 02:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/26/08 9:31 AM, in article , "rachael
simpson" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
[...]

I was amazed such a tiny piece of ice could inflict that much damage,
especially when I've had larger pebbles bounce right off while driving.

Cheryl

Old 27-06-2008, 11:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak said:

On 6/26/08 6:24 AM, in article
, "Pat Kiewicz"
wrote:

I noticed the hostas in one of the huge planters downtown seem
to really have caught the brunt of the hail (very exposed) and look
like they've been clawed by cats (daughter's description).

You must see hail more than I do - this was the first time for both of my
kids and I can only remember one time with anything bigger than the pea
sized pellets that fell a few days ago.

Not usually more than once a year, and usually not more than gravel...

There was more hail yesterday, which just missed us, but got the
end of the neighborhood. I could tell where it had hailed by the
shreds of green on the ground. Very spotty.

After enlightenment, the laundry.