Old 11-07-2008, 08:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Close call

I was outside yesterday and my daughter and I were admiring the
pumpkin plants. They seemed to have put on about 12-16 inches of
growth in the last couple days! Nice little flower buds on them too...

I went out today and every leaf was wilted and drooping! Emergency
water patrol....a couple hours later and everyone is back in shape.
Just one hot day, doggone it. They're a lot more sensitive than the
other stuff I have growing atm, which seemed to handle the last 24
hours just fine.

Chris
Old 12-07-2008, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"Chris" wrote in message
I was outside yesterday and my daughter and I were admiring the
pumpkin plants. They seemed to have put on about 12-16 inches of
growth in the last couple days! Nice little flower buds on them too...

I went out today and every leaf was wilted and drooping! Emergency
water patrol....a couple hours later and everyone is back in shape.
Just one hot day, doggone it. They're a lot more sensitive than the
other stuff I have growing atm, which seemed to handle the last 24
hours just fine.

Chris

When I grew pumpkins I used gallon milk jugs to keep them watered. Washed
out the milk jug, punched a few holes on the bottom edge and buried in pairs
about 12" apart with just the neck above ground. I planted each pumpkin
between two jugs. Once the pumpkins where established I just used the hose
to fill the jugs. It puts a lot of water, as you found out they are thirsty
plants during peak growth, right to the roots. It also encourages the roots
to grow deeper and stay down where the water is but keeps the ground dry
around the pumpkin...no rot. It also makes it easy to heavily feed the
pumpkins vines.

Val

Old 12-07-2008, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Val" wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

I knew some folks that did the same only they used milk.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 12-07-2008, 06:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Val wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for posting that tip! I'll add it to my tip jar.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

My butternut squashes, which are very closely related to pumpkins, will wilt
on every hot sunny day absolutely no matter how much water they have. I can
have flooded them the night before and also give them an inch of water four
times during the day and it will not matter -- if it is hot and sunny, the
leaves will go limp during the hottest part of the day, then will firm up
immediately again as soon as the sun starts to get low.

I've sort of concluded that winter squash just doesn't like hot sun, and
this is its way of reducing the amount of leaf area that is being irradiated
on a hot day. The stems always stay firm, it is just the leaves that go
limp, kind of like a half-closed picnic umbrella.

Utopia in Decay
http://home.comcast.net/~kevin.cherkauer/site

Kevin Cherkauer

"Chris" wrote in message
I was outside yesterday and my daughter and I were admiring the
pumpkin plants. They seemed to have put on about 12-16 inches of
growth in the last couple days! Nice little flower buds on them too...

I went out today and every leaf was wilted and drooping! Emergency
water patrol....a couple hours later and everyone is back in shape.
Just one hot day, doggone it. They're a lot more sensitive than the
other stuff I have growing atm, which seemed to handle the last 24
hours just fine.

Chris

[IMG] code is On

Kiss goodbye to international call charges! Now you can call abroadfor the price of a UK call! APNADIAL United Kingdom 8 31-07-2009 06:24 PM
Whew!!! Close call. George Ponds 36 28-07-2004 09:03 AM
Whew!!! Close call. George Ponds 19 18-07-2004 08:02 AM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 10:02 PM
how close is too close? griffon Gardening 3 27-04-2003 07:20 PM