Old 17-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Registered User

Default Please can you help a newbie.

Hi, i`m new here and i`m sorry if i have posted this in the wrong section but here goes....
I have bought two venus fly trap plants last week, they are in a small plastic pot with holes in the bottom. I have them stood on plates and i have noticed that when i move the pots there is some sort of little (i mean tiny) bugs running around. It seems worse when i have just watered them but they are there all of the time.
Is this normal? What are the little creatures? my immediate thought was to bin the plants but i don`t really want to.
Thanks for any advice/help given
Old 17-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Registered User

What exactly do these little 'bugs' look like? are they black?

Kathryn
http://www.carreglefn-nurseries.co.u...na30;804413]Hi, i`m new here and i`m sorry if i have posted this in the wrong section but here goes....
I have bought two venus fly trap plants last week, they are in a small plastic pot with holes in the bottom. I have them stood on plates and i have noticed that when i move the pots there is some sort of little (i mean tiny) bugs running around. It seems worse when i have just watered them but they are there all of the time.
Is this normal? What are the little creatures? my immediate thought was to bin the plants but i don`t really want to.
Thanks for any advice/help given[/quote]
Old 17-07-2008, 12:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
donna30

Any chance of a more complete description? Are they red, for instance?

Try putting out a piece of white paper (outside!) and banging the
plant onto it. The critters should drop off, and a decent magnifying
glass should give you an opportunity to get a good look at them. When
you say "tiny" I immediately thought 'red spider mite', which is a
very common plant parasite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetranychus_urticae

Chris

Chris
Old 17-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris[_14_] View Post
On Jul 17, 3:24 am, donna30
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the replies,
The things are black, i think, they are very hard to see ( about 1mm in length and less in width) they look like a tiny fly running around, I dont have a magnifying glass to get a better look. I will try to get hold of one though.