Old 23-07-2008, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Lawn questions and garden prep question

Zone 5A

Lawn questions: It's been dry up here. Every lawn is burned out. Should I
continue to water? Would this be a good time to get some compost and
top-dress the lawn?

Garden prep question: Next year, I will be doing a vegetable garden. Is
there something I could do right now to help get the plot ready for next
years planting? I will converting a patch of my burned-out lawn to a
vegetable garden.

Thank you.

Old 23-07-2008, 08:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 14:42:28 -0400, "JohnnyC" wrote:
g'day johnny,
Zone 5A

Lawn questions: It's been dry up here. Every lawn is burned out. Should I
continue to water? Would this be a good time to get some compost and
top-dress the lawn?

are you in a drought area? if so you should be looking to managing all
your water use, and using any on resource wastefull lawn folly would
be out of the question.

having said that if you get a management plan going, that should
include a target of using all water at least twice more if you can do
so, so there may be some grey water available for lawn watering in
that case.

the best care for lawns is cut to near maximum height of the mower
(around 2+"s) and don't sue a catcher leave the clip on the ground,
this will encourage stronger growth that will make the lawn that
little more hardy, free of course. it is better to do light trims and
mow more often, try to mow before imminent rain or just after rain, as
mowing encourages moisture loss from the lawn area.

Garden prep question: Next year, I will be doing a vegetable garden. Is
there something I could do right now to help get the plot ready for next
years planting? I will converting a patch of my burned-out lawn to a
vegetable garden.

check our site for how we do our gardens especially the straw bale
agrden, ther maybe some ideas there for you, then of course next
growing season (for you) you may want to use grey water to keep the
gardens going?

Thank you.

our pleasure, please consider a donation if you visit.
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 24-07-2008, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JohnnyC" wrote in message news
Zone 5A

Lawn questions: It's been dry up here. Every lawn is burned out. Should I
continue to water? Would this be a good time to get some compost and
top-dress the lawn?

Garden prep question: Next year, I will be doing a vegetable garden. Is there
something I could do right now to help get the plot ready for next years
planting? I will converting a patch of my burned-out lawn to a vegetable
garden.

Use a sod cutter to remove the lawn. Along with it will go the weed seeds that
would love to reach dirt and sprout. You will end up with a mostly weed free
garden right from the start.

[IMG] code is On

Newbie Lawn Prep throttleaddict Lawns 2 19-10-2010 12:56 PM
Deere "lawn tractor" OK for cultivating/soil prep? [email protected] Gardening 7 23-04-2006 07:55 AM
Deere "lawn tractor" OK for cultivating/soil prep? [email protected] Lawns 9 20-04-2006 11:03 PM
Fall Prep for Spring Lawn & Garden [email protected] Gardening 2 18-11-2005 12:08 AM
lawn prep and laying sod BigDaDDY Lawns 5 17-01-2004 04:32 AM