Old 19-04-2006, 06:15 PM posted to misc.rural,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Default Deere "lawn tractor" OK for cultivating/soil prep?

Howdy everyone-

I'd like some opinions on this whole 'garden tractor' versus
'lawn tractor' business. My old riding lawn mower just went down
for good and I'm looking to buy a replacement. I live on small farm
and need something to do some general mowing (1/2 acre or so, not many
hills) around the house and outbuildings. I also need something that I
could run some small ground-engaging attachments on like a sleeve hitch
cultivator, small plow or harrow for a garden and for breaking up some
weedy ground around my outbuildings to plant some grass into. My soil
is very fine loamy sand-pretty easy to break up.

I'm looking at one of the lower-end John Deere "lawn tractors"
like the 115 or 125. When I asked the local JD dealer about
sleeve-hitch kits for one of these to do this sort of ground-breaking
stuff, I was told that these models "aren't made for that" and that
I needed to get a real "garden tractor" for this sort of thing. Of
course their "garden" and "utility" tractors are several
thousand dollars more than their "lawn tractors." I've
heard/read similar comments in other places.

What's the real story here? I guess I'm wondering whether this is
more of a sales pitch than good advice. I'm sure that a true
"garden tractor" or "utility tractor" would likely do a BETTER
job-as it should since it costs several times more. But can I do an
OK job with the lower-priced "lawn tractors" (without harming the
tractor of course)? So long as I can find a decent sleeve-hitch kit
for the 115 won't this work? The other thing I like about the "lawn
tractors" is their smaller size...with some of those "garden" and
"utility" tractors it makes it tougher to operate in 'tight spots'
around trees, next to buildings, etc.

I guess I'm a little skeptical about this whole "you need a garden
tractor" idea because I know people who have been doing this sort of
thing for years with old Sears 13HP riders with no apparent problems.
And weren't the "garden tractors" of 10 years ago often
less-powerful than the "lawn tractors" of today? I suppose the
larger tire size for traction on the "garden" and "utility" tractors
might also be an issue though...

'Any thoughts appreciated-thanks!

Old 19-04-2006, 08:53 PM posted to misc.rural,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens
Srgnt Billko

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

I can't even picture my "lawn" tractor pulling a little moldboard plow. I
use an old Sears 12 hp Suburban & an old Cub Cadet both with the cast iron
transaxle, They weigh considerable more than a 115 and I still need wheel
weights and chains. Those pot metal transaxles can't possibly stand up for
much of that. Size wise there isn't much difference and the horsepower is
not the concern.

Old 20-04-2006, 01:47 AM posted to misc.rural,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens
夜之魂

Dear sir
My name is Rock from China.and i have pleasure in introducing myself
when i see your topic from google.want to know do you want a new lawn
tractor with good quality and cheep price from China.if you want
contact me by email/MSN business in China.
Best regards
Rock

Old 20-04-2006, 05:08 AM posted to misc.rural,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Somewhat. Are the transmissions really that different on the garden
tractors? I haven't been able to find much specific info when I
compared the two (e.g. at Sears the other day). Is the traction
difference from tire size...or gearing or both? I see most of the
'garden tractors' have 23" tires while the lawn tractors are 18-20"
(and wider)...

Old 20-04-2006, 03:44 PM posted to misc.rural,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens
grassStain

"???" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear sir
My name is Rock from China.and i have pleasure in introducing myself
when i see your topic from google.want to know do you want a new lawn
tractor with good quality and cheep price from China.

You must mean cheep quality and good price.

Old 23-04-2006, 07:55 AM
Registered User

Smile

Peter Huebner In article y7N1g.2226$gt.145@trnddc04, says...

"???"
wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear sir
My name is Rock from China.and i have pleasure in introducing myself
when i see your topic from google.want to know do you want a new lawn
tractor with good quality and cheep price from China.

You must mean cheep quality and good price.

Yeah, right. Maybe cheep cheep cheep as in: for the birds. I have yet to see
any half way decent quality tool or machine come out of PR China. To think that
that was once a Great Country. Well, a long long time ago, I suppose.
(And don't anybody start upbraiding me for taking cheap shots).

-P.

i asked my hubby his thoughts on your question he said that it wouldnt be a good idea to use a regular lawn tractor for the work u want to do.
for one the garden tractors weigh quite a bit more than the lawn tractors, the gears are a heavier in comparison and on top of that the tires are wider for more stability and are designed for what they are to be used for and thats in the garden.
he suggested either looking for a good used garden tractor or considering a john deere model, as he has seen them stand up longer than a lot that are on the market now and on top of that for resale value u would get a better payback on a john deere something more to consider.
good luck with your choices. cyaaaaa, sockiescat.

[IMG] code is On

Deere "lawn tractor" OK for cultivating/soil prep? [email protected] Lawns 9 20-04-2006 11:03 PM
Cultivating using lawn tractor. seadog United Kingdom 1 18-07-2005 02:38 PM
"Cultivating wisdom" Mike Gardening 0 19-04-2004 02:04 PM
John Deere Lawn Tractor Ray Lawns 22 26-02-2004 03:51 PM
Problem with John Deere lawn tractor [email protected] Lawns 0 01-04-2003 08:44 PM