Old 26-08-2008, 05:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Neutralizing poopy smell in soil?

Hello,

I'm new to this group and hope to get some advice for my problem. I'm
converting a derelict corner of my garden into a play area for the
kids. Basically leveling it out and mulching with bark so the slides
and sandbox can go on top. But, it seems the cat used the area for a
litter box for a while and if you get close it does smell. Does
anyone have advice for what to do? Is there something I can amend the
soil with? I've heard of lime being used in outhouses. Is this
useful? Or should I go the extra mile to put down barrier plastic
before topping with bark? I suppose that would protect against any
bacterial issues...

Thanks so much for any help!

Pora
Old 26-08-2008, 12:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

"wurstergirl" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm new to this group and hope to get some advice for my problem. I'm
converting a derelict corner of my garden into a play area for the
kids. Basically leveling it out and mulching with bark so the slides
and sandbox can go on top. But, it seems the cat used the area for a
litter box for a while and if you get close it does smell. Does
anyone have advice for what to do?

You can get product called Odor Mute that is formulated for use in kennels.
I have used it in lawns with great results- mix with water and spray on.
Beware that it does come in both scented and fragrance free forms.
Be sure and make a cover for the sandbox

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky