Old 12-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Francisco

Default water plants soil smell bad

I have a little pond with two water plants, and the soil in the pots smells
very bad; I can smell the same if I get close to the water.
Is this normal?, can I put the plants in sand or something else to avoid the
smell?
Thank you.

Francisco
Old 13-04-2003, 02:32 AM
RichToyBox

That smell is hydrogen sulfide gas. It comes from the anaerobic digestion
of the roots and other organic debris in the pots or in the pond. I have
never found a means of potting that did not cause anaerobic bacterial
action. Some on this NG do not pot, but rather set a brick on the roots to
hold the plant up right and in place. This allows more of the water to
contact the plants roots, and reduces the anaerobic situation.
--
RichToyBox

Old 13-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Francisco

RichToyBox wrote:

That smell is hydrogen sulfide gas. It comes from the anaerobic digestion
of the roots and other organic debris in the pots or in the pond. I have
never found a means of potting that did not cause anaerobic bacterial
action. Some on this NG do not pot, but rather set a brick on the roots
hold the plant up right and in place. This allows more of the water to
contact the plants roots, and reduces the anaerobic situation.

Thank you. So, this gas, it's not bad to the fish right?

Francisco
Old 14-04-2003, 01:08 AM
RichToyBox

Yes. It is highly toxic. Within the pots, small enough amounts get out
that it does not kill fish. If the bottom of the pond is full of leaves,
and other debris that are causing the water to have this smell, then you
really need to try to get the fish out, while you clean the bottom of the
pond. Then treat with PP before putting fish back in.
--
RichToyBox

Old 14-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Nedra

Francisco, You say your pond is small and you have two potted
plants. I suggest that you replant the plants in new garden soil.
I'd also do a 10 to 15% water change. De-Chlor the tap water
as you fill the pond. Oh, Yes..please fertilize the plants with Lily Gro
or similar plant food. This is an easy way to take care of the
small pond probs ;-)

Nedra in Missouri

Old 14-04-2003, 02:44 AM
Francisco

Thank you very much, Nedra and RichToyBox.
I'll follow your advise and see how it goes.

Francisco

Old 14-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Pinkpggy

I bought a large bag of big aquarium rocks from Petsmart to pot my plants in.
And they smell very little. Before potting them, I really rinsed them off good
also.
Old 15-04-2003, 09:44 AM
adavisus

Francisco wrote in message ...
I have a little pond with two water plants, and the soil in the pots smells
very bad; I can smell the same if I get close to the water.
Is this normal?, can I put the plants in sand or something else to avoid the
smell?

Its normal if you have way too much decomposing at the same time, you
probably need to dredge the little pond of the bulk of the organic
matter that is going off. Plants and leaves from last Winter need
clearing out when they build up, you might want to take more care not
to let any fish food go to waste, adding to the problem

Dredging the pond of anything black and silty, followed by a series of
partial top ups will reduce the effects of the toxic conditions that
are building up on a pond which has not been maintained. Taking a
couple of buckets out at a time and you have a very rich mud for
improving garden soil positions elsewhere.

On a healthy pond when you lift plants, all you should be able to
notice is a slightly seaside, marine scent among the roots of the
plants...

Regards, Andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
(andys aquatic plant list for interesting swaps
Old 17-04-2003, 12:20 AM
ponder

You can also go to a rock pit place, can you tell my mind is gone for the
day!, and but lava rock for about 4 cents a pound, really cheap stuff.

Old 17-04-2003, 12:20 AM
ponder

But don't scrub the liner, just remove what will come off with the pressure
of your hose.