Old 03-09-2008, 03:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Mulch

Mulch when applied correctly can help trees acquire conditions for healthy
growth has they had when they got their genetic codes in a forest. Mulch
comes in different gradations. Some people claim removing mulch from a
forest is good for forest health
(http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/Services/salvage.htm ). I strongly
disagree.

Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

A Touch of Chemistry
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Also Don Staples claims removing all mulch from a forest is restoration?
http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/Services/salvage.htm
Tree Farming and Related Problems with Dons plans to remove all material.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..

Mulch when applied correctly can help trees acquire conditions for healthy
growth has they had when they got their genetic codes in a forest. Mulch
comes in different gradations. Some people claim removing mulch from a
forest is good for forest health
(http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/Services/salvage.htm ). I strongly
disagree.

Question, yard boy. Who mulches the forest debris, who spreads it, and
neatly rakes it 6 inches away from the stems? How is that nasty
protoplastic poison you rave on about neutralized in the forest?

And once again, show me where I said removing mulch from a forest is good
for forest health. Salvage is not removing your so called mulch.

Idiot.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting yard boy
http://homde.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedidctionary.com
Beware of yard boys who do not understand tree biology.
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.
Some yard boys will buy products they do not understand and not buy books
that will give them understanding.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

You really do not understand trees salvage hog.

Symplastless wood with soil contact is mulch.

Take a class or something of forestry and not just wood products.

You claim removing all of the natural mulch from a site is good and
restoration. And you do not even know it???????????

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

omsupplyinc...

Old 03-09-2008, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
You really do not understand trees salvage hog.

So says the yard boy, with no formal science education.

Symplastless wood with soil contact is mulch.

Ah, but you say mulch has to be composted at least two years before use, so
which is it, yard boy?

Take a class or something of forestry and not just wood products.

From you, who have never had a formal class in any science, that is
hilarious.

You claim removing all of the natural mulch from a site is good and
restoration. And you do not even know it???????????

Show me where I say that, idiot.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

http://homde.ccdil.org/~treeman
and www.treeddidctionary.com

Old 04-09-2008, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Don Staples" wrote in message
omsupplyinc...
"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
You really do not understand trees salvage hog.

So says the yard boy, with no formal science education.

Symplastless wood with soil contact is mulch.

Ah, but you say mulch has to be composted at least two years before use,
so which is it, yard boy?

Fresh chips should be composted for at least a year and the longer the
better. A natural forest does not have fresh chips with protoplasm smeared
all over the place attracting undesirables. Think Don, Think. There is no
reason why you cannot think. Is there?

Don Staples, you asked why I am not a Certified Arborist. Some are good and
some not so good. A chemical company rep. asked me, to agree, that a
questionable chemical should be used to kill these so called pest in the
picture. I said, I am not convinced that we have to kill secondary agents,
the clean-up crew if you please, which were present because of a
predisposition set my humans activities and tree treatments. I will never
agree to that, thus the chemical giant flunked me. That's why I am not a
certified arborist. I was however one of the first 20 people to be a
certified landscape maintenance supervisor in the state of Florida with the
Landscape Maintenance Association as well as operator. I then moved my
sites to listening, touching, seeing and such, the information Dr. Shigo was
teaching. Then I took the certified arborist test and refused to comply to
such folly. Now do not get me wrong, there are many good certified
arborists. I used to work with one before his demise. He helped me a lot
and respected my views based on tree biology. He was obsessed with chemical
pesticides which un knowing people believe helps trees. My thought was that
by making adjustments and adaptations to my treatments, and with some basic
understanding of the clean-up crew, I would succeed. Organic tree care also
focuses on secondaries mostly just with friendlier ways of killing
associates. MODERN ARBORICULTURE is a systematic approach to the care of
trees. I really have no requirement for killing except for the cull pile.
I cannot believe that you do not understand in a true forest mulch which
comes in different gradations. All fallen leaves, needles, twigs, branches,
sprouts, bark, trunks, symplastless woody roots, symplastless non-woody
roots are all mulch. Trees got their genetic code in a natural forest with
a steady supply of new mulch shed from the trees. This new mulch will
breakdown to become new soil with residual lignin. From the symplast
maintaining tree to the symplastless trees each ecological stage has
purpose, requirement, function and not just a dead piece of wood. Its too
easy to call something dead. The only time a chunk of wood is dead is after
it completely burns or is consumed by fire. Even then the chemistry goes on
with high amounts of "K". Any wood in a natural forest that is symplastless
and heading towards soil contact is mulch. I am surprised with your claim
to education that you have not written about this unique obligator feature
of a forest. A forest being a highly ordered arrangement of living material
living in, on and near all of the ecological stages of trees that assures
high quality survival for all. Removing the mulch is deforestation for
obvious reasons as long as you are not just a casual observer. I am not.
Removing the mulch which is the substrate for the base of the food web is
not in the interest of forest health from a tree biological stand point.
The main theme is buildup and breakdown. Either something is building up or
breaking down. During these processes many groups of organisms find their
niche. Removing the entire natural mulch such as in your salvage and
restoration guide on your website requires rethinking. It's a shame so many
people hate trees and their associates that no matter how much data you have
they still want to hurt trees and their associates. Absurd! Why do you try
to pass my knowledge and wisdom as a fraud? If you remove all substrate for
the base of the food web you just do not go back and plant a forest. You
cannot plant a forest. You can plant a tree, and if you are gifted,
correctly.

You asked for my Data:

It's he http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

And backed up by these:
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...get/index.html

So there you have it!

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
and
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
Watch out for so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology.
Storms, lightning strikes, fires, floods, earthquakes, tornado's, volcanic
eruptions and other abiotic forces keep reminding humans that they are not
the boss.

[IMG] code is On

To compost/mulch or not to compost/mulch Malcolm United Kingdom 15 03-05-2009 09:19 AM
To Mulch or Not to Mulch Ron H Gardening 6 13-08-2006 09:06 PM
Lawn grass mulch Ann Edible Gardening 4 02-03-2003 06:27 PM
Leaf Mulch Kurt Gardening 8 06-02-2003 10:25 AM
[IBC] mulch as soil Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 1 04-02-2003 01:15 AM