Old 16-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Registered User

Location: Truro, Cornwall
Red face Greenhouse beginner

Hello all, I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be getting a greenhouse for my birthday. We have a nice flat site which will take a 8 x 6ft one but now we have cleared the site what do we do next. Do we lay slabs and have gravel inside, do we dig a footing and have a couple of rows of blocks
as a base or will it be ok on slabs or what about concrete. Please help
Old 16-09-2008, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Greenhouse beginner

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 15:18:50 +0100, muddy puddles
wrote:

Hello all, I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be getting a
greenhouse for my birthday. We have a nice flat site which will take a
8 x 6ft one but now we have cleared the site what do we do next. Do we
lay slabs and have gravel inside, do we dig a footing and have a couple
of rows of blocks
as a base or will it be ok on slabs or what about concrete. Please
help

Follow the manufacturer's recommendations. A concrete slab is very
nice if you have the money.
Old 17-09-2008, 02:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Hello all, I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be getting a
greenhouse for my birthday. We have a nice flat site which will take a
8 x 6ft one but now we have cleared the site what do we do next. �Do we
lay slabs and have gravel inside, do we dig a footing and have a couple
of rows of blocks
as a base or will it be ok on slabs or what about concrete. �Please
help

Follow the manufacturer's recommendations. � A concrete slab is very
nice if you have the money.

Concrete is fairly inexpensive for a slab that size, can be a good
weekend DIY project. However concrete is much too permanent for a
newbie... what if after a season they decide they don't like it. I'd
suggest exterior lumber, a deck of pressure treated 2 X 4s and a
couple sheets 1/2" exterior ply. When/if no longer wanted no big deal
to knock it down and use the lumber for another project.