Old 01-10-2008, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default move oak tree

On 9/30/2008 1:45 PM, Sheldon wrote:
"David E. Ross" wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
"j.ma wrote:
dinglebe wrote:
Is it possible to move oak tree that is few years old about 8 or 9 foot tall
and is about 2" at base? if so, how?
Oak trees should only be moved when they are dormant in the fall & all
their leaves have dropped off.
Hey, know nothing... why don't you STFU... oak trees don't lose all
their leaves until spring.
If done with care any tree can be replanted with success any time
during the year. �Fall is the best time to plant, regardless about
leaves, because the ground is cool and damp, ideal conditions for
plants to get a new start. �But there's no reason a tree can't be
moved during a midsummer drought. Beech trees hold their leaves all
winter too but they can be replanted any time.

What you said might apply where you live but not everywhere.

No one cares about you... the tree in question is in Minniesoda

You made blanket statements about (1) oaks going dormant and (2) fall
growing conditions as if they applied universally. They do not apply in
areas of the U.S. with a total population of some 20,000,000 or more.
With a smart-ass answer like yours, few care about you.

By the way, beech trees go dormant in the fall. The dead leaves often
hang on until new leaves sprout in the spring, but they are quite dead
by winter. However, sleet and severe winter winds can strip the dead
leaves.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 01-10-2008, 02:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote:

You made blanket statements.

You made stupid statements.

Stop being ridiculous. Plant nurseries sell balled and potted trees
throughout the entire warm weather seasons, in full leaf... your
nonsense about trees having to be dormant to plant is absolutely
psychotic. In fact just the opposite is true, trees in the ground in
fall once frost is nigh will be going dormant soon and are best left
undisturbed until the ground warms up in spring. This business about
dormancy pertains to shipping bare root stock in early spring. But
the best time to plant trees and shurbs in colder climes such as where
the OP lives is early fall, and it's best they are NOT dormant so they
will develop new roots before a hard frost sets in. In warm climes it
doesn't much matter when trees are planted... in warm climes trees
don't go dormant anyway. Ross, you are nuts, really NUTZ! You know
nothing about gardening, absolutely nothing... I wouldn't trust you
with a Chia Pet.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 30, 8:17*pm, Sheldon wrote:
"David E. Ross" wrote:

[...]

I work at a nursery in zone 4. Not ALL trees shouldn't be moved unless
dormant but OAK trees should be once they've been established in the
ground. The two best times to plant in colder climates, I live in Iowa
just South of OP, is in the spring AND fall. Any & all trees can be
moved before the first hard freezing frost, EXCEPT oaks. They should
be moved once dormant. Maybe if you actually read what I say you
wouldn't make such blanket statements.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote:

[...]

You don't say anything that's true. And if your resent folks
commenting on your statements usenet is not for you.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote:
[...]

You (Sheldon) have joined Symplastless in my "kill" filter.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 1, 10:20*am, Sheldon wrote:

You don't say anything that's true. *And if your resent folks
commenting on your statements usenet is not for you.

When a gentleman I work with who is licensed to tree spade tell me
that Oaks should not be transplanted until dormant I stand by my
statement that Oaks should not be moved unless dormant.

I'm not resentful, you just continue to rant about what I say lol. You
seem to be much more upset about it.