Old 05-09-2006, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Best time to move apple tree?

I have a small apple tree (about 5 ft tall) that I have just had the first
fruit from.

I want to move to a position where it will have more room to grow, but was
wondering when the best time of year would be to do this?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks
Andrew

Old 06-09-2006, 12:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello Andrew,
The best time to move the tree is when it is dormant - so November ot
March, when the ground is not waterlogged or frozen. Take as much of
the root with you as you can, to reduce a slow year - which is likely
anyway.

How old is the tree? Do you know what root stock it has been grafted
on to?
The reason for the question is the hight of the tree is maily govened
by soil conditions and rootstock. If the tree has been grafted onto M9
- the tree is only likely to get to 7-8ft
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 06-09-2006, 08:53 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
I have a small apple tree (about 5 ft tall) that I have just had the first
fruit from.

I want to move to a position where it will have more room to grow, but was
wondering when the best time of year would be to do this?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks
Andrew
As soon as it is fully dormant. If autumn is mild, this can be as late as Christmas.