Old 28-09-2008, 06:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default move oak tree

Is it possible to move oak tree that is few years old about 8 or 9 foot tall
and is about 2" at base? if so, how?
Old 28-09-2008, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 28, 6:29*am, wrote:
Is it possible to move oak tree that is few years old about 8 or 9 foot tall
and is about 2" at base? if so, how?

It is Possible to move any tree that is decidious meaning the leaves
fall from them. Best time to do this is in winter when the leaves
have completly come from the tree. This is when all the sap from the
tree goes down into the roots. It sounds like a decent tree 8-9 ft
tall but i have personally done trees that have been over 50years old
so no problem. Make sure that you dig a massive hole around the roots
so not to brake to many roots off dig also down really deeply. Don't
just try to dig in with a fork and give it a wiggle until it comes out
you really wnat to dig out as much soil as pos. I hope this helps try
www.gardeningcareblog.com
Old 28-09-2008, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

dinglebe wrote:

Is it possible to move oak tree that is few years old about 8 or 9 foot tall
and is about 2" at base? if so, how?

A tree that size is fairly easy to move. First dig a hole at the new
location, about 4' diameter, about 3' deep... remove sod and shake out
topsoil into a bucket/wheelbarrow... remove any stones... you can
compost the cleaned sod. I always lay down a plastic tarp to place
soil dug from hole, makes for less soil loss and less disturbance to
adjacent area... I also pile the top soil on the tarp in a separate
heap

Then water your tree deeply to soften the soil and help it hold
together. With a sharp garden spade cut all around the tree about 16"
from the trunk (pruning the roots is desirable), you'll want another
plastic tarp for piling soil at this location too. Next remove any
sod and shake out top soil as previously. Use topsoil to prepare new
location, depending on soil quality you may want to amend with peat
moss. You will need a few cubic feet extra to make up the soil loss
from digging... you'll also need decent soil to refill the hole at the
original location too.

Carefully dig a trench all around the tree while undercutting roots so
that a root ball is formed (probably 18" depth). Next carefully lift
tree into a wheelbarrow trying not to break root ball (you may need a
second set of hands, a root ball can be heavy, yours will weigh about
100 pounds). Next plant tree in new hole, a bit higher than
previously, water while refilling but do not tamp soil, be sure tree
is plumb (use a level), it could be beneficial to tilt tree a few
degrees away from the direction the sun will strike it. Prune back
about 1/4 of side branches (will encourage new growth in spring and
will present less resistance to winter winds and less area for snow
and ice to adhere, if you live in such a clime. You shouldn't need to
brace a tree that size, but keep an eye on it, if it begins to lean
from winds add some stakes and tie down, loosely, trees need to move
in order to encourage strong lateral roots... remove bracing in
spring. Add a thick layer of mulch around tree, leaves and straw held
down with old lumber work well. Were the tree much larger you'd most
likely need some kind of digging machine; backhoe/excavator... so
don't put this job off. Fall is an excellent time to plant.

Old 28-09-2008, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Just couple questions. Should I wait for leafs to fall off? Why so deep
hole in new location, if root ball is 18" deep.
Thanks much....really do appreciate the help.

Old 28-09-2008, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 9/27/2008 10:29 PM, wrote:
Is it possible to move oak tree that is few years old about 8 or 9 foot tall
and is about 2" at base? if so, how?

If this is a western oak (an oak native to the U.S. west of the Rocky
Mountains), do it this winter. Mature western oaks often fail to
survive transplanting.

If this is a western oak, be sure to cut the tap root when you dig it
out. Western oaks with tap roots generally cannot survive in garden
situations with summer water and any smaller plants within their root
zone. Nursery-grown oaks have their tap roots cut while seedlings or
saplings; this helps them to thrive in gardens.

I cut the tap root of my valley white oak (Quercus lobata) when it was a
seedling (which I sprouted from an acorn) being moved into a quart pot.
It developed a new tap root, which I also cut when I moved it into a
gallon can. It's now (32 years later) in the ground adjacent to a rose
bed, taller than my two-story house and with a trunk about 20 inches in
diameter. See my http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_oak_acorn.html.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 28-09-2008, 07:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

I don't know what type Oak tree this is...... I am in Michigan so guess not
western oak.....I have several Oak trees in yard and looks like there could
be different types. One has long leaves, about 8 or 9 inches. another has
smaller leaves like 3 inches. the one I want to move has leaves that are
about 5 inches long.
Old 28-09-2008, 09:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 28, 12:44�pm, wrote:
Just couple questions. �Should I wait for �leafs to fall off? �

No. Most oaks in northern climes hold their leaves all winter.

Why so deep
hole in new location, if root ball is 18" deep.
Thanks much....really do appreciate the help.

The planting hole should ideally be twice the dimensions of the root
ball so that there is plenty of room for adding arable amended soil.
Cramming the root ball right up against compacted soil will not allow
for new root growth to occur easily nor will it permit much air and
water to penetrate. You can get by with a small planting hole but the
larger the hole the better the chance for the tree to do well right
from the start.

Old 28-09-2008, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Is it possible to move oak tree that is few years old about 8 or 9 foot tall
and is about 2" at base? if so, how?

Oaks are really sensitive to root disturbance. Pile a few inches of soil
on the roots, and they die -- they take a few years to do so, but they do.
Remove a few inches and they die. Sever a few too many roots and they die.

My suggestion is to use a tree spade to move the tree -- yes, the giganto
machines that take a huge root ball -- if this is an important tree for you.
Otherwise, I'd be likely to just plant another of the same species in the
"correct" spot and let this one grow until it has to be taken down.

Old 29-09-2008, 01:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message

Is it possible to move oak tree that is few years old about 8 or 9 foot
tall
and is about 2" at base? if so, how?

Why bother? Why not just save a few acorns off it and plant them?

Old 30-09-2008, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 28, 12:29*am, wrote:
Is it possible to move oak tree that is few years old about 8 or 9 foot tall
and is about 2" at base? if so, how?

Oak trees should only be moved when they are dormant in the fall & all
their leaves have dropped off. I recommend hiring a landscaping place
to spade it into a different spot if you don't feel comfortable with
the risk of moving it yourself. Other wise just make sure the Oak is
dormant & you have dug far enough that all the roots come with the
tree, since it is so young & has such a small trunk diameter.
Old 30-09-2008, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 29, 7:27�pm, " wrote:
On Sep 28, 12:29�am, wrote:

Is it possible to move oak tree that is few years old about 8 or 9 foot tall
and is about 2" at base? if so, how?

Oak trees should only be moved when they are dormant in the fall & all
their leaves have dropped off.

Hey, know nothing... why don't you STFU... oak trees don't lose all
their leaves until spring.

If done with care any tree can be replanted with success any time
during the year. Fall is the best time to plant, regardless about
leaves, because the ground is cool and damp, ideal conditions for
plants to get a new start. But there's no reason a tree can't be
moved during a midsummer drought. Beech trees hold their leaves all
winter too but they can be replanted any time.
Old 30-09-2008, 06:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 29, 8:59*pm, Sheldon wrote:
On Sep 29, 7:27 pm, " wrote:

On Sep 28, 12:29 am, wrote:

Is it possible to move oak tree that is few years old about 8 or 9 foot tall
and is about 2" at base? if so, how?

Oak trees should only be moved when they are dormant in the fall & all
their leaves have dropped off.

Hey, know nothing... why don't you STFU... oak trees don't lose all
their leaves until spring.

If done with care any tree can be replanted with success any time
during the year. *Fall is the best time to plant, regardless about
leaves, because the ground is cool and damp, ideal conditions for
plants to get a new start. *But there's no reason a tree can't be
moved during a midsummer drought. Beech trees hold their leaves all
winter too but they can be replanted any time.

Haha shit I did say that didn't I. Blah my brain goes to crap
sometimes during my networking class. But I still stand by my
statement that oaks should not be transplanted until they go dormant &
definitely not spaded unless they're dormant.
Old 30-09-2008, 07:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 9/29/2008 6:59 PM, Sheldon wrote:
On Sep 29, 7:27�pm, " wrote:
On Sep 28, 12:29�am, wrote:

Is it possible to move oak tree that is few years old about 8 or 9 foot tall
and is about 2" at base? if so, how?

Oak trees should only be moved when they are dormant in the fall & all
their leaves have dropped off.

Hey, know nothing... why don't you STFU... oak trees don't lose all
their leaves until spring.

If done with care any tree can be replanted with success any time
during the year. Fall is the best time to plant, regardless about
leaves, because the ground is cool and damp, ideal conditions for
plants to get a new start. But there's no reason a tree can't be
moved during a midsummer drought. Beech trees hold their leaves all
winter too but they can be replanted any time.

What you said might apply where you live but not everywhere.

My valley white oak (Quercus lobata) loses its leaves in the fall and is
bare in the winter. On the other hand, coast live oak (Q. agrifolia)
and most other live oaks are evergreen and lose their leaves slowly
throughout the year as new leaves open.

Further, fall in my climate is definitely the best time to plant but not
for your reason. Here, the soil is still warm from summer, which
promotes root growth. However, the air (at least at night) is cool,
which reduces the stress on foliage and the demands for moisture from
disturbed roots. Unless it's irrigated, the soil here is damp only in
early spring, after the winter rains. (As of today, there have been 126
consecutive days without measurable rain; in some years, we've gone over
200 days without rain. Rain generally falls from November through
February.)

Old 30-09-2008, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
"j.ma wrote:
dinglebe wrote:

Is it possible to move oak tree that is few years old about 8 or 9 foot tall
and is about 2" at base? if so, how?
Oak trees should only be moved when they are dormant in the fall & all
their leaves have dropped off.

Hey, know nothing... why don't you STFU... oak trees don't lose all
their leaves until spring.

If done with care any tree can be replanted with success any time
during the year. �Fall is the best time to plant, regardless about
leaves, because the ground is cool and damp, ideal conditions for
plants to get a new start. �But there's no reason a tree can't be
moved during a midsummer drought. Beech trees hold their leaves all
winter too but they can be replanted any time.

What you said might apply where you live but not everywhere.

No one cares about you... the tree in question is in Minniesoda