Old 15-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Registered User

Smile Moving a Garden...Advice needed

I would much appreciate any advice from all of you Gardeners out there. I am moving house and intend to move all the contents of my garden too.

Is there a particular time of year that this should be done?..or can all be uprooted in October?
Will most plants like roses cope with being cut back at this time of the year?..I'm in the UK by the way.

I have all sorts of bulbs...that bloom at different months throughout the year.
And I'm now ready to dig
Any advice would be MUCH appreciated.
Old 16-10-2008, 05:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Moving a Garden...Advice needed

On 10/15/2008 3:38 PM, lollabridges wrote:
I would much appreciate any advice from all of you Gardeners out there.
I am moving house and intend to move all the contents of my garden
too.

Is there a particular time of year that this should be done?..or can
all be uprooted in October?
Will most plants like roses cope with being cut back at this time of
the year?..I'm in the UK by the way.

I have all sorts of bulbs...that bloom at different months throughout
the year.
And I'm now ready to dig
Any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

You better check with your real estate agent or an attorney. In the
U.S., the sale of a house generally includes the garden and all the
plants in it.

I don't know about moving roses.

Most bulbs should be dug right after their foliage dies; thus, you can't
dig all of yours since they have different seasons. In particular,
Amarillis belladonna ('Naked Lady') and its relatives will refuse to
bloom for several years if it's dug at the wrong time of the year. On
the other hand, some evergreen bulbs and bulb-like plants (Hippeastrum,
Agapanthus) can be dug at any time of the year; however, I recommend
against digging them while they are in bloom. Bearded iris are best dug
in the early fall; I don't know if it's too late for them now.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 16-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E. Ross View Post
[...]

Thank you for the info.

No real estate involved...I'm in rented property and just taking what belongs to me)
Old 16-10-2008, 11:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

lollabridges wrote:
David E. Ross;819155 Wrote:

[...]

You still may want to discuss this with your landlord... if you don't
return the landscape back to original and instead just leave a bunch
of holes and dirt piles you may not see any security money and may
still be sued for destruction of property... and in many
municipalities once you put in landscape plantings they become part of
the property and their removal is considered theft regardless that you
did the planting. You can be prosecuted for removing your paint from
the walls too... same malicious mischief as removing plants
Old 17-10-2008, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Gardening pages athttp://www.rossde.com/garden/

Thank you for the info.

No real estate involved...I'm in rented property and just taking what
belongs to me)

--
lollabridges- Hide quoted text -

Would not be allowed in US. Your plantings are not movable fixtures
and now probably belong to the land owner.
You best discuss with parties involved before doing anything.