Old 19-10-2008, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default water needs

Curious as to how much water is needed for irrigation for the typical lawn
in terms of inches in the typical growing season, this includes rain as well
in my question?

--
Dave

If it looks like fish, smells like fish, its not
a cantaloupe.

Old 19-10-2008, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/18/2008 7:06 PM, Dioclese wrote:
Curious as to how much water is needed for irrigation for the typical lawn
in terms of inches in the typical growing season, this includes rain as well
in my question?

That depends on the type of grass and the climate. Some grasses are
more thirsty than others. My low-humidity climate results in more loss
through evaporation than would happen in Louisiana or Florida.

It might also depend on the length of the growing season. With a short
growing season, a lawn will be dormant (or at least semi-dormant)
longer, during which it requires less water.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 19-10-2008, 04:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 19:35:10 -0700, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

On 10/18/2008 7:06 PM, Dioclese wrote:
Curious as to how much water is needed for irrigation for the typical lawn
in terms of inches in the typical growing season, this includes rain as well
in my question?

That depends on the type of grass and the climate. Some grasses are
more thirsty than others. My low-humidity climate results in more loss
through evaporation than would happen in Louisiana or Florida.

It might also depend on the length of the growing season. With a short
growing season, a lawn will be dormant (or at least semi-dormant)
longer, during which it requires less water.

Also on the ground conditions. I'm is almost the same climate as
David, my lawn will survive all summer (8 to 10 months) with no water
added. Apparently we have a water table high enough that the grass
roots can reach it.

The lawn does look better if I supplement that water, though.
Old 19-10-2008, 12:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message
m...
Curious as to how much water is needed for irrigation for the typical lawn
in terms of inches in the typical growing season, this includes rain as
well in my question?

The number that is most often tossed around is one inch per week.
As others have mentioned this depends on several factors.

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

Old 19-10-2008, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 21:06:07 -0500, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:

Curious as to how much water is needed for irrigation for the typical lawn
in terms of inches in the typical growing season, this includes rain as well
in my question?

It is difficult to imagine the typical lawn since there are so many
different grasses available in any given area. Some grasses can
tolerate draught much better than other grasses. I have (well
established) fescue and it can easily go 4-6 weeks without water.
parts of my lawn turn brown in mid summer, but stays green all other
times. It really helps to mow high and often, and to have a thick
lawn. And then there is the question about how much water is needed
to survive as opposed to actively growing. Watering my 1.5 acre lawn
would be an expensive waste of water, plus my city charges 2x the cost
of water used for sewer fees ($100 of water has a $200 sewer
charge--ouch!)

Old 21-10-2008, 05:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Buderschnookie" wrote in message

"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message
m...
Curious as to how much water is needed for irrigation for the typical
lawn in terms of inches in the typical growing season, this includes rain
as well in my question?

The number that is most often tossed around is one inch per week.
As others have mentioned this depends on several factors.

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky
USDA Zone 6b
http://www.cearbhaill.com

Inch per week is over 4 feet of water per year during the growing season.
As an example, let's go with that figure. Also, let's assume 2 feet of
precipitation during the growing season distributed ideally throughout that
period. Assume high humidity periods when irrigation is actually
implemented and shortly after that for maximum water absorbing time. Assume
mediocre high temps at worst, and mostly partly cloudy days. Barring heavy
snow or sudden cold spell, assume the grass goes visibly dormant in
mid-November and remains that way until mid-March. Leaving 8 months of
water aiding during the typical year. Assume the entire lawn is
approximately 1/4 of an acre. What is the water volume in terms of gallons
for 2 feet to cover this area? What is the cost in terms of dollars in the
average municipality including bogus sewer fee watering this particular lawn
over the 8 month period?

Old 21-10-2008, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message
Assume the entire lawn is approximately 1/4 of an acre. What is the
water volume in terms of gallons for 2 feet to cover this area? What is
the cost in terms of dollars in the average municipality including bogus
sewer fee watering this particular lawn over the 8 month period?

I'm assuming your questions are rhetorical, but I'll still bite.
Are you asking me to go and dig up my old water bills, cuz that ain't gonna
happen.

I am watering 22,000 sq ft of lawn and 6,000 sq ft of beds, and do try and
keep things adequately watered.
My monthly water + sewer bills range from a low of $70 to a high of $212 per
month. The higher months were following our yearly reseedings which require
substantially more water.

I'll leave it to someone more mathematically inclined to compute the volume.

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

Old 22-10-2008, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 18, 9:06*pm, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:
Curious as to how much water is needed for irrigation for the typical lawn
in terms of inches in the typical growing season, this includes rain as well
in my question?

--
Dave

If it looks like fish, smells like fish, its not
a cantaloupe.

Hrm, I don't believe there is really a definite answer for this one.
Like others have stated it does depend on where you live, what the
season is like, etc. Often times you'll have to just experiment & find
what works best. Just stay on top of it so you notice when your grass
is declining whether from being watered too much or too little.
Irrigation can be tricky, but it isn't one of those things that you
can just set at a certain setting & leave it be forever. Lol its
supposed to be more useful than a hose... but I'm not sure I believe
it.