Old 25-10-2008, 12:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Impatiens Stuff

Working with a friend who has been in the retail nursery a good part
of his life, makes up for my ignorance and enthusiasm.
USDA 9, Sunset 22

I got some seeds for Impatiens "Bruno Mix" from Hardyplants.com.

We got about 30% germination, the plants grew well. A mistake I made
was planting them too close together. I will try this again if the
plants I have now don't survive winter.
-------------------------------------
bought 24 plants from Burpee,
Impatiens Fusion Peach Frost - 1 pack (12 plants)
Impatiens - African, Blondie (12 plants)

The fusion were destroyed in shipping, all but one of the Blondie dies
shortly after I opened the package. I think they could have been
saved if I had a misting system setup, but I didn't. The one
remaining plant is doing well. Overall, I was disappointed.
We bought three kinds of the trailing Fanfare impatiens from Ball.
Rather high minimum order. The plants arrived in great shape, good
enough that I called Ball to thank them. We then had high attrition,
poor growing. We used different planting mixes, good water, bad
water, some were fertilized, some not. Many slowly died, the others
just barely grew. The ones I have in the ground are living, growing
slowly. they have very attractive blooms, and if they live for a few
years they might amount to something. I wouldn't recommend them for
my area unless I knew what was the secret to making them grow.
I bought an Impatiens grandis and an I. x walleriana 'Magenta Giant'
from Kartuz, both arrived well packed and are doing well in the
ground.
I bought an Impatiens namchabarwensis "Blue Diamond Impatiens" and
another plant from Annie's Annuals and Perennials

Exceptionally well packed, and the plants are growing well.

Old 25-10-2008, 12:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Charles wrote:

[...]

So this is not a question but a statement.

We just take cuttings to over winter our favorite doubles. Some just
reside about the kitchen sink till spring.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA