Old 03-09-2003, 11:02 PM
RF

Default Impatiens?

All,
I bought these hanging basket impatiens from sams club and they bloomed
wonderfully, however, this past month they have started to die to the point
that the plant is 1/3 of it's original size. I watered daily, what did i do
wrong? It has been hot this summer.

RF

Old 04-09-2003, 11:02 AM
Toni

"RF" wrote in message
All,
I bought these hanging basket impatiens from sams club and they bloomed
wonderfully, however, this past month they have started to die to the

point
that the plant is 1/3 of it's original size. I watered daily, what did i

do
wrong? It has been hot this summer.

You're in an *aquarium* plant newsgroup, but I'll bite...

You didn't mention your zone?
In most hot summer climates impatiens are used as an annuals- meaning you
plant them, enjoy their color, and let them go at the end of the season. If
you have a long fall period you may be able to get some more time out of
them if they are well fed. You are feeding them, right?

Trim back all the stems to two or three inches- don't totally denude them as
they need some leaf to live, but a good hard cut back nevertheless. Feed
with a very mild solution of a 20-20-20 food. After they have produced new
growth stop feeding N and give a good bloom booster like 0-33-10 or similar.
And while impatiens like to be well watered they do not like wet feet over
the long haul and will develop fungus problems. If the soil is soggy you've
watered too much, and water only in the very early AM hours.

Or you could always go to Home Depot and pick up some new impatiens- I see
'em for 3/$1.00. Then feed them regularly and cut back a stem or two every
week and they'll last much longer.

--
Toni
Sunny South Florida

Old 04-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Zerex

Also, if you want good blooms and good new growth, when you buy them, pluck off
all the blooms. I know it's tough to do cause you just bought this pretty
plant, but trust me, it'll pay off!

--Jim

Old 04-09-2003, 08:03 PM
~Vicki ~

A lot have to do with variety. The common impatient likes a nice shady
area. New Guinea impatiens like a lot more sun.

If it is still in its basket it could be that the plant is root bound
and drying out half way through the day. Water early in the morn and
then check the plant in the afternoon. If it is wilting water again.

If it is in the ground it could be that its feet are to wet. If this is
so just hold back the water for a few days and let it dry out a little.
Or could be that it is not getting quite enough water. The ground
should be damp a few inches below the surface.

Cut back the plant to a few inches and it should recover

Vicki