Old 28-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Registered User

Question Hebe franciscana 'Variegata', pests and diseases?

Hi everyone =)

I'm currently doing a Horticulture course and I've got a little stuck on a question and wondered if any of you could help me!

I'm doing a plant collection worksheet on Hebe franciscana 'Variegata' and need to find out what pests and diseases affect it?

Thanks,

Zoe x
Old 28-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeB View Post
Hi everyone =)

I'm currently doing a Horticulture course and I've got a little stuck on a question and wondered if any of you could help me!

I'm doing a plant collection worksheet on Hebe franciscana 'Variegata' and need to find out what pests and diseases affect it?

Thanks,

Zoe x
I don't know anything specific, but guess they must be subject to generic problems. Try Googling "Shrubs - pests and diseases" and see what you get. All the hebes I've had have been pretty tough and trouble-free.
Old 28-11-2008, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Hebe franciscana 'Variegata', pests and diseases?

In article ,
ZoeB wrote:

Hi everyone =)

I'm currently doing a Horticulture course and I've got a little stuck
on a question and wondered if any of you could help me!

I'm doing a plant collection worksheet on Hebe franciscana 'Variegata'
and need to find out what pests and diseases affect it?

Thanks,

Zoe x

If you can't google "Hebe franciscana 'Variegata', pests", then
you're not going to do too well in your course. Of course this could
just be some incredibly low key, self-effacing British humor which
portrays Brits as having the I.Q. of a lump of moss, in which case I
haven't a clue.
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars
Old 28-11-2008, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
ZoeB wrote:

Hi everyone =)

I'm currently doing a Horticulture course and I've got a little stuck
on a question and wondered if any of you could help me!

I'm doing a plant collection worksheet on Hebe franciscana 'Variegata'
and need to find out what pests and diseases affect it?

Thanks,

Zoe x

If you can't google "Hebe franciscana 'Variegata', pests", then
you're not going to do too well in your course. Of course this could
just be some incredibly low key, self-effacing British humor which
portrays Brits as having the I.Q. of a lump of moss, in which case I
haven't a clue.

Ah, hmmmm.

"It's not Marijuana, it's a tomato plant."
"It's cannabis."
"What's this red thing, then?"
"Fall foliage."
"It's round!"
"Deformed fall foliage."
"I tell you, it's a tomato plant!"
"That's what all you dopers say."
"Why are you arresting my dog?"
"He's a witness."
"A witness? A witness to what?"
"Illegal narcotics farming."
"Are you completely daft? The dog can't testify to anything!"
"He can unless you claim he's your spouse."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...rder/3529872/P
olice-mistake-widows-tomato-plants-for-cannabis-factory.html
Police raided a 79-year-old widow's Highland cottage after mistaking her
tomato plants for a cannabis factory

My error. Hang in there Zoe. Your nation needs you;O)

http://www.backyardgardener.com/plantname/pda_38b8.html
Problems

Pest : Whiteflies

Whiteflies are small, winged insects that look like tiny moths, which
attack many types of plants. The flying adult stage prefers the
underside of leaves to feed and breed. Whiteflies can multiply quickly
as a female can lay up to 500 eggs in a life span of 2 months. If a
plant is infested with whiteflies, you will see a cloud of fleeing
insects when the plant is disturbed. Whiteflies can weaken a plant,
eventually leading to plant death if they are not checked. They can
transmit many harmful plant viruses. They also produce a sweet substance
called honeydew (coveted by ants) which can lead to an unattractive
black surface fungal growth called sooty mold.

Possible controls: keep weeds down; use screening in windows to keep
them out; remove infested plants away from non-infested plants; use a
reflective mulch (aluminum foil) under plants (this repels whiteflies);
trap with yellow sticky cards, apply labeled pesticides; encourage
natural enemies such as parasitic wasps in the garden; and sometimes a
good steady shower of water will wash them off the plant.

Pest : Aphids

Aphids are small, soft-bodied, slow-moving insects that suck fluids from
plants. Aphids come in many colors, ranging from green to brown to
black, and they may have wings. They attack a wide range of plant
species causing stunting, deformed leaves and buds. They can transmit
harmful plant viruses with their piercing/sucking mouthparts. Aphids,
generally, are merely a nuisance, since it takes many of them to cause
serious plant damage. However aphids do produce a sweet substance called
honeydew (coveted by ants) which can lead to an unattractive black
surface growth called sooty mold.

Aphids can increase quickly in numbers and each female can produce up to
250 live nymphs in the course of a month without mating. Aphids often
appear when the environment changes - spring & fall. They're often
massed at the tips of branches feeding on succulent tissue. Aphids are
attracted to the color yellow and will often hitchhike on yellow
clothing.

Prevention and Control: Keep weeds to an absolute minimum, especially
around desirable plants. On edibles, wash off infected area of plant.
Lady bugs and lacewings will feed on aphids in the garden. There are
various products - organic and inorganic - that can be used to control
aphids. Seek the recommendation of a professional and follow all label
procedures to a tee.

Fungi : Powdery Mildew

Powdery Mildew is usually found on plants that do not have enough air
circulation or adequate light. Problems are worse where nights are cool
and days are warm and humid. The powdery white or gray fungus is usually
found on the upper surface of leaves or fruit. Leaves will often turn
yellow or brown, curl up, and drop off. New foliage emerges crinkled and
distorted. Fruit will be dwarfed and often drops early.

Prevention and Control: Plant resistant varieties and space plants
properly so they receive adequate light and air circulation. Always
water from below, keeping water off the foliage. This is paramount for
roses. Go easy on the nitrogen fertilizer. Apply fungicides according to
label directions before problem becomes severe and follow directions
exactly, not missing any required treatments. Sanitation is a must -
clean up and remove all leaves, flowers, or debris in the fall and
destroy.

Diseases : Pythium and Phytophtora Root Rot

Rot Rot, Pythium or Phytophthora occurs when soil moisture levels are
excessively high and fungal spores present in the soil, come in contact
with the susceptible plant. The base of stems discolor and shrink, and
leaves further up the stalk wilt and die. Leaves near base are affected
first. The roots will turn black and rot or break. This fungi can be
introduced by using unsterilized soil mix or contaminated water.

Prevention and ControlRemove affected plants and their roots, and
discard surrounding soil. Replace with plants that are not susceptible,
and only use fresh, sterilized soil mix. Hold back on fertilizing too.
Try not to over water plants and make sure that soil is well drained
prior to planting. This fungus is not treatable by chemicals.

Rhizoctonia Root and Stem Rot symptoms look similar to Pythium Root Rot,
but the Rhizoctonia fungus seems to thrive in well drained soils.

Fungi : Leaf Spots

Leaf spots are caused by fungi or bacteria. Brown or black spots and
patches may be either ragged or circular, with a water soaked or
yellow-edged appearance. Insects, rain, dirty garden tools, or even
people can help its spread.

Prevention and Control: Remove infected leaves when the plant is dry.
Leaves that collect around the base of the plant should be raked up and
disposed of. Avoid overhead irrigation if possible; water should be
directed at soil level. For fungal leaf spots, use a recommended
fungicide according to label directions.
------

Sorry for my lack of sensitivity :O(

Old 29-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy[_5_] View Post
In article
,
Billy
wrote:

In article
,
ZoeB
wrote:

[...]

Billy,

Was that really necessary? Is there really that little going on in your life that you have to come on forum's and insult people? I feel truly sorry for you.

Concerning your search result, when I looked at that page I thought that it was just general plant care advice, and not specific to the Hebe...but I guess I was wrong, shall I go and shoot myself now? God, I really must have the I.Q of moss...weird though, seeming as I graduated with a first in Wildlife Conservation last year...

Old 29-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy[_5_] View Post
In article
,
Billy
wrote:

In article
,
ZoeB
wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Hebe Andersonii Variegata Variegated Hebe Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 23-03-2010 09:41 AM
Garden Pests - How To Get Rid Of Garden Pests And Keep Your GardenHealthy! fryedaddy Gardening 4 01-02-2008 05:01 AM
Hebe or not Hebe Twobtold Gardening 9 29-08-2004 08:33 PM
propagaion of Fallopia japonica 'Variegata' Matt Ward Gardening 0 07-05-2003 06:08 PM
Pests & Diseases Book Heather Edwards Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:33 AM