Old 29-08-2004, 05:54 AM
Twobtold

Default Hebe or not Hebe

Hi --
Two seasons ago I bought a few liners from a nursery in NJ.
They were tagged as Hebe Quicksilver. Last season they did not
flower but the leaves were impressive, very variable in color.
The plants grew to about 8 inches.
This season the plants are about 2 feet tall, still with
leaves of cream or green; cream with green; green with cream;
others have blotches on them ranging from rust colored to dark
brown.
But now I have the first flower spike with little Red buds
on it. Hebe Quicksilver is supposed to have pale Mauve flowers.
Can anyone ID this plant?
http://members.aol.com/twobtold/Garden/HebeFlower.jpg
http://members.aol.com/twobtold/Garden/1HebeLeaf.jpg
http://members.aol.com/twobtold/Garden/2HebeLeaf.jpg
TIA (NJ,Z6)

Old 29-08-2004, 07:50 AM
Travis

Twobtold wrote:

Hi --
Two seasons ago I bought a few liners from a nursery in NJ.
They were tagged as Hebe Quicksilver. Last season they did not
flower but the leaves were impressive, very variable in color.
The plants grew to about 8 inches.
This season the plants are about 2 feet tall, still with
leaves of cream or green; cream with green; green with cream;
others have blotches on them ranging from rust colored to dark
brown.
But now I have the first flower spike with little Red buds
on it. Hebe Quicksilver is supposed to have pale Mauve flowers.
Can anyone ID this plant?
http://members.aol.com/twobtold/Garden/HebeFlower.jpg
http://members.aol.com/twobtold/Garden/1HebeLeaf.jpg
http://members.aol.com/twobtold/Garden/2HebeLeaf.jpg
TIA (NJ,Z6)

It's Persicaria. Do a Google search and pick out your specific plant.
They can be invasive. Japanese Knotweed is in the same family.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 29-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Marcy Hege

I believe you have Polygonum Virginianum, also known as Painter's Palette.
Check out the info at
http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog...ail/01048.html for more
information.

In my yard, the plant is a perennial and does vigorously self-seed but can be
pulled out rather easily.

Old 29-08-2004, 02:51 PM
Pam - gardengal

It's Persicaria virginiana 'Painters Pallette', a very attractive and easy
to maintain (not invasive) herbaceous perennial for part shade. As paghat
said, most certainly not a Hebe, which is a woody subshrub and definitely
not 'Quicksliver', which has tiny blue green leaves, held on dark stems.
FYI, most hebes will not be hardy for you in NJ - they are a somewhat tender
plant and will need winter protection. And as a means to identify a hebe,
should you really encounter one, the foliage is ranked - that is, pairs of
opposing leaves are held at exactly 90 degrees from the preceeding pair so
that when you look down the stem, the leaves are in pecise alternate rows
set 90 degrees apart.

pam - gardengal

Old 29-08-2004, 06:32 PM
Twobtold

(paghat)

Hebe Quicksilver is supposed to have pale Mauve flowers.
Can anyone ID this plant?

That's certainly not Hebe Quicksilver. This is:
http://www.paghat.com/hebequicksilver.html
Quicksilver has teency tiny silvery blue leaves on nearly woody black stems.

Yep, I knew it was mis-labeled because I ckecked
your site before I posted. Great site, I have it bookmarked and use it often.
Thanks.

Old 29-08-2004, 06:43 PM
Twobtold

From: Travis lid

Can anyone ID this plant?
http://members.aol.com/twobtold/Garden/HebeFlower.jpg

It's Persicaria. Do a Google search and pick out your specific plant.
They can be invasive. Japanese Knotweed is in the same family.

Right on. Seems this plant has had a tough time finding
correct genus. Out of the Google search I would pick
either Persicaria filiformis 'Painter's Palette' or Persicara filiformis
'varigata'. And they might both be the same plant.
Thanks for your help.

Old 29-08-2004, 06:54 PM
Twobtold

From: (Marcy Hege)

I believe you have Polygonum Virginianum, also known as Painter's Palette.
Check out the info at
http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog...ail/01048.html for more
information.

In my yard, the plant is a perennial and does vigorously self-seed but can be
pulled out rather easily.

Thanks for the info. The plant certainly has a lot of names: Tovara virginiana,
Polygonum virginianum, Persicaria filiformis but one thing is now certain I
do not have a Hebe. I'm not unhappy though, I like the foliage.

Old 29-08-2004, 07:24 PM
Twobtold

From: "Pam - gardengal"
FblYc.253114$eM2.172150@attbi_s51
It's Persicaria virginiana 'Painters Pallette', a very attractive and easy
to maintain (not invasive) herbaceous perennial for part shade.

Thanks Pam, another name to add to the list. I guess it's safe to say the genus
is Persicaria and the species is either virginiana or filiformis.

As paghat
said, most certainly not a Hebe, which is a woody subshrub and definitely
not 'Quicksliver', which has tiny blue green leaves, held on dark stems.
FYI, most hebes will not be hardy for you in NJ - they are a somewhat tender
plant and will need winter protection.

Yes, she indicates that the smaller the leaf, the hardier the plant.

And as a means to identify a hebe,
should you really encounter one, the foliage is ranked - that is, pairs of
opposing leaves are held at exactly 90 degrees from the preceeding pair so
that when you look down the stem, the leaves are in pecise alternate rows
set 90 degrees apart.

Interesting. Would a Weigela be said to have 'ranked' foliage?

Old 29-08-2004, 08:33 PM
paghat

In article ,

From: "Pam - gardengal"
FblYc.253114$eM2.172150@attbi_s51
It's Persicaria virginiana 'Painters Pallette', a very attractive and easy
to maintain (not invasive) herbaceous perennial for part shade.

Thanks Pam, another name to add to the list. I guess it's safe to say

the genus
is Persicaria and the species is either virginiana or filiformis.

As paghat
said, most certainly not a Hebe, which is a woody subshrub and definitely
not 'Quicksliver', which has tiny blue green leaves, held on dark stems.
FYI, most hebes will not be hardy for you in NJ - they are a somewhat tender
plant and will need winter protection.

Yes, she indicates that the smaller the leaf, the hardier the plant.

There are exceptions though & 'Quicksilver' MIGHT be just a tad bit tender
compared to, say, the broader leafed 'Autumn Glory.'

-paghat the ratgirl

And as a means to identify a hebe,
should you really encounter one, the foliage is ranked - that is, pairs of
opposing leaves are held at exactly 90 degrees from the preceeding pair so
that when you look down the stem, the leaves are in pecise alternate rows
set 90 degrees apart.

Interesting. Would a Weigela be said to have 'ranked' foliage?

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com