Old 21-12-2008, 01:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Winter Solstice Greetings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_solstice

It's 28 degrees F and it is raining. There is glow on all the scrubs
coated with ice.
Walking about requires planing with safety sand spread. Luckily I have
to go nowhere so the fire will burn more today than usual. Perhaps the
light will return and grow stronger. Always the promise and still a
gift.

Cookies in progress and so I must just search for our raspberry jams.

Good Jul

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 22-12-2008, 01:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bill wrote:

It's 28 degrees � F and it is raining. �There is glow on all the shrubs
coated with ice.

Snow is finally stopping:

http://i40.tinypic.com/280axi.jpg

And It's 12 degrees in the Catskills:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2637i39.jpg
Old 22-12-2008, 01:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sheldon wrote in news:67a1dd61-e6e8-401c-936c-
:

Bill wrote:

It's 28 degrees � F and it is raining. �There is glow on

all the shrubs
coated with ice.

Snow is finally stopping:

http://i40.tinypic.com/280axi.jpg

do you use the tractor to clear the snow, or do you also have a
plow truck or snow blower?
we got 30" +/-, but it's really blowy so some places are very deep
& some are only a few inches.

And It's 12 degrees in the Catskills:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2637i39.jpg

with or without the windchill factor? my weather station says
windchill is -6, but it's not in a good place to actually measure
wind... plus it's still a bit frozen from the ice storm.
lee

Old 23-12-2008, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bill wrote:

It's 28 degrees � F and it is raining. �There is glow on

all the shrubs
coated with ice.

Snow is finally stopping:

http://i40.tinypic.com/280axi.jpg

do you use the tractor to clear the snow, or do you also have a
plow truck or snow blower?
we got 30" +/-, but it's really blowy so some places are very deep
& some are only a few inches.

And It's 12 degrees in the Catskills:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2637i39.jpg

with or without the windchill factor? my weather station says
windchill is -6, but it's not in a good place to actually measure
wind... plus it's still a bit frozen from the ice storm.
lee

Hey Lee, if you thought yesterday was cold - don't go outside today.

Cheryl

Old 23-12-2008, 02:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

Hey Lee, if you thought yesterday was cold - don't go outside
today.

i was just out with the small dogs (as opposed to the big dogs, one
of whom stays outside 99% of the time & one who goes out in the dog
yard when someone opens the door. the small dogs walk through the
electric fence) & it's not that bad out. it was -0.4 earlier, but
it's up to 10 now & dead calm.
in between decorating a tree, baking cookies & wrapping stuff i need
to get out back and refill the feeders & dig out a nice area for the
juncos, who have been eating out of the feeders & suet holders the
past few days. juncos prefer to be ground feeders.
the squirrels are less than happy that i put the feeder in the dog
yard but the seed lasts a lot longer... they haven't figured out
that there's a feeder & the suet feeders outside the dog yard...
lee
Old 23-12-2008, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

enigma wrote:
Sheldon wrote:

Snow is finally stopping:

http://i40.tinypic.com/280axi.jpg

do you use the tractor to clear the snow, or do you also have a
plow truck or snow blower?
�we got 30" +/-, but it's really blowy so some places are very deep
& some are only a few inches.

I have a monster plow mounted on my tractor's front loader:

http://i42.tinypic.com/fdwyn5.jpg

And It's 12 degrees in the Catskills:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2637i39.jpg

with or without the windchill factor? my weather station says
windchill is -6, but it's not in a good place to actually measure
wind... plus it's still a bit frozen from the ice storm.

There was no wind while it was snowing but the next day the
temperature dropped to 0 and there were strong wind gusts blowing snow
into drifts. The temperature was hovering at 0 all last night but is
up to 15 now; it's sunny, no clouds, and no wind.
Old 23-12-2008, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sheldon wrote in
.
com:

enigma wrote:
Sheldon wrote:

Snow is finally stopping:

http://i40.tinypic.com/280axi.jpg

do you use the tractor to clear the snow, or do you also have a
plow truck or snow blower?
we got 30" +/-, but it's really blowy so some places are
very de

ep
& some are only a few inches.

I have a monster plow mounted on my tractor's front loader:

http://i42.tinypic.com/fdwyn5.jpg

i have a plow for the pickup truck, but when it's deep it's easier
to use the tractor bucket. the road plow left a 4 foot bank at the
end of the driveway, but that was easy enough to pick up with the
bucket & move across the street & dump over the bank on that side.
it looks like you got more snow than we did though... although the
llamas are up to their bellies & the goats are not straying from
the paths the llamas make (which is good because my entire back
fence is maybe 2' high from branches falling in the ice storm.)
lee
Old 23-12-2008, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 23, 11:42�am, enigma wrote:
Sheldon wrote .
com:

enigma wrote:
Sheldon wrote:

Snow is finally stopping:

http://i40.tinypic.com/280axi.jpg

do you use the tractor to clear the snow, or do you also have a
plow truck or snow blower?
we got 30" +/-, but it's really blowy so some places are
very de

ep
& some are only a few inches.

I have a monster plow mounted on my tractor's front loader:

http://i42.tinypic.com/fdwyn5.jpg

�i have a plow for the pickup truck, but when it's deep it's easier
to use the tractor bucket. the road plow left a 4 foot bank at the
end of the driveway, but that was easy enough to pick up with the
bucket & move across the street & dump over the bank on that side.

With the blade angled I've no problem plowing deep snow... slices
through four foot drifts like a hot knife through butter and pushes it
off to the side. The huge pile left by the county plows at the foot
of my drive is no problem, I push that snow right across the road into
an empty field. If the snow is packed and starts to protest I simply
raise the plow while pushing, that always breaks it up so that on the
next attempt it's easy to push. I have a bucket too but it's of no
use for plowing, it just fills up and jams, and would take way too
many trips hauling loas of snow... and during freezing messy weather
I'm not about to be changing implements... so the plow is on for for
the duration during winter, the bucket is a warm weather implement for
put it on during change over, otherwise I remove the front loader
during warm weather as I use the tractor for mowing, I don't need to
be hauling an 800 pound front loader all those hours. For moving snow
a plow is the way to go, blowers are too dangerous.
Old 25-12-2008, 02:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
enigma wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

[...]

Be on guard as snowzilla may be lurking around )

http://www.google.com/search?client=...wzilla&ie=UTF-
8&oe=UTF-8

Bill cleaning up from last night..........

http://www.snowzilla.org/

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

[IMG] code is On

Winter Solstice.. Hypatia Nachshon Gardening 3 18-12-2014 10:35 PM
from a NY, U.S.A. terrarium at winter solstice 2008 Somnial Orchid Photos 4 24-12-2008 06:32 AM
Happy Solstice Pat Brennan Orchids 10 21-12-2004 11:58 PM
Happy Solstice madgardener Gardening 8 24-12-2003 02:14 PM