Old 26-12-2008, 03:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rooting Ginko

Hi all.

Happy New Year to everyone!

My question:
I have a small Ginko tree that was broken in half by a wind driven object.
Fortunately I had let a sucker grow that I had planned on cutting off this
spring. I was just wondering on how is the best way to start cuttings on
this tree? I cut off some of the branches and dipped them in rooting hormone
and stuck in a large pot and left it outside in a protected area.
Any other suggestions or ideas?

Thanks.
Mark In Oklahoma

Old 26-12-2008, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Mark_OK" wrote:
Hi all.

Happy New Year to everyone!

My question:
I have a small Ginko tree that was broken in half by a wind driven object..
Fortunately I had let a sucker grow that I had planned on cutting off this
spring. I was just wondering on how is the best way �to start cuttings on
this tree? I cut off some of the branches and dipped them in rooting hormone
and stuck in a large pot and left it outside in a protected area.
Any other suggestions or ideas?

Leave your broken ginkgo alone, it will send out new branches and
continue to grow. I don't know if you can root the severed portion.

I have two ginkgos, also small, about 2" caliper... in early spring
when the new shoots appear sometimes larger birds (crows/ravens)
alight on them and they snap right off, but then they grow back.
Young gingko shoots are rather weak and brittle, but the previous
year's growth is very strong and tough, what could have severed your
tree, are you sure it wasn't done deliberately?

You can ask he
http://www.ginkgo-inc.com/index.htm

And he
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kwanten/

[IMG] code is On

ginko tree question escapee Texas 4 26-07-2004 12:03 AM
[IBC] Ginko biloba David J. Bockman Bonsai 11 02-01-2004 05:32 AM
Ginko biloba Mike Bonsai 0 01-01-2004 09:02 PM
Can i kept Ginko biloba inside? Patrick Gardening 2 03-09-2003 07:12 PM
how do I stop a ginko tree from fruiting? Jonathan Johnson Gardening 10 02-09-2003 11:33 PM