Old 30-12-2008, 01:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default What's killing my pandorea vine?

I have two pandorea jasminoides 'Lady Di' plants in a corner
of my yard. They are right next to each other, with one trellis
facing east and one facing north. But other than a slight
difference in the amount of sunlight that falls on the trellised
leaves, they both have the same growing conditions.

I'm in the South Bay part of the San Francisco Bay Area, not
far from the bay, so the soil here is adobe (clay). I amended
the soil when I put the pandoreas in about seven years ago,
and I feed them occasionally. During the warm months, I water
them via little sprinklers at their bases. This time of the
year, they get rain often enough to keep them watered.

Here are some photos:

http://www.wintertime.com/Personal/Plants/pandorea.html

As you can see, one of the plants is not looking at all well.
I first noticed it a couple of weeks ago, and it's gotten worse.
The other pandorea is showing no sign of trouble.

The leaf damage looks kind of like frost damage to me, except
we haven't had any nights below 32 degs. here. And other plants
that don't like cold nights--such as my bougainvillea--are doing
just fine, anyway.

There's a Japanese maple that's closer to the sick pandorea than
to the healthy one, but it seems unlikely to me that the roots of
the maple could be damaging the vine. You can see the trunks of
both in the fourth photo; they're about 18" apart. They've been
living together happily for seven years.

In the closeup photo of the leaves, some leaves appear to be
turning brown at the spine, but others have random mottling.
So I don't know whether they're necessarily turning brown from
the inside out. There's still some healthy growth on the vine,
but I don't know how much longer it will last.

I looked up "pandorea" and "disease" last night, and generally
got results saying that they aren't often susceptible to problems.
There was one reference to phytophthora (root rot), but that was
all. And again, the two plants have the same conditions, so I
wouldn't expect that problem to affect just one of them.

Anyone here got any ideas on what's going on and whether I can
save the plant?

Thanks!

Patty

p.s. A little "eat your hearts out" note to those of you in
the North and East: I was watering my strawberry pot today
and noticed a nice big, ripe, strawberry. In fact, it was
a bit overripe, because I don't normally check for berries
in December! I went ahead and ate it; it was very sweet. I
see another one coming along nicely. Good ol' California. :-)

Old 07-01-2009, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hi, everyone.

I posted this message while a lot of people were probably
away from their computers during the holidays. Thought I'd
try it again in case anyone has any ideas. Thanks!

In article ,
Patty Winter wrote:
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Wonga-wonga Vine-Ruby Belle-6334 (Pandorea pandorana) Maroochy[_4_] Garden Photos 0 20-10-2012 11:43 AM
pandorea jasminoides i+e+d Garden Photos 0 17-06-2007 12:12 AM
Pandorea?????? Potaroo Australia 0 01-01-2006 02:57 AM
killing vine that has taken over hedge [email protected] Gardening 5 23-12-2003 03:06 AM
Pandorea jasminoides Sacha United Kingdom 16 19-11-2003 11:22 AM