Old 13-02-2009, 04:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default African Violet Plant Question ?

Hello,

Re an African Violet plant I recently received as a gift.

I realize it is primarily an indoor, house plant.
Or, at least, around here, that's mainly how they are sold.

But, is it possible to plant it outdoors ?

If so, Spring and Summer only, or will it survive a winter ?

Live in New England, outside of Boston.

Thanks,
B.

Old 13-02-2009, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Re an African Violet plant I recently received as a gift.

I realize it is primarily an indoor, house plant.
Or, at least, around here, that's mainly how they are sold.

But, is it possible to plant it outdoors ?

If so, Spring and Summer only, or will it survive a winter ?

Live in New England, outside of Boston.

Thanks,
B.

No, absolutely not. You don't even want to put the plant on an open
porch during the warm weather. African Violets attract a lot of insects
(especially spider mites) and need to be grown in a controlled
environment. Getting the leaves wet will result in spots that will not
go away and may rot.

Even though African Violets were once grown in the wild, the ones that
are available today are dozens of generations "better" than the original
wild plant. They have be hybridized to a point that the current plants
are nothing like the original in looks and performance (blooms).
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL