Old 06-03-2009, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Botanical and Cultural Images of Eastern Asia, 1907-1927

15. Botanical and Cultural Images of Eastern Asia, 1907-1927

http://www.arboretum.harvard.edu/programs/eastern_asia/overview.html

In the library section of their website, the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard
University shows off their digitized collection of eastern Asian
photographs taken by plant explorers and collectors from the early 20th
century. On the homepage visitors can learn the names of the plant
explorers by rolling over the photos under the heading "Meet the
explorers". *

Once visitors have chosen an explorer they would like to learn more
about, they can click on their photo, to be taken to a brief biography
of the explorer.

Additionally, visitors can view a gallery of the explorer's images, or
search the database for the explorer's images. For visitors interested in
viewing the photographs by category of image, they can click on one of
the photos under the heading "See What they Saw", to view images of
"Magnificent Trees", "Buildings and Bridges", "Daily Life", or
"Landscapes". *Each one of the categories is further divided into
subcategories, which can be seen after clicking on one of the
aforementioned images. *Some of the subcategories include "Boats" and
"Farms" in "Landscapes"; "Food" and "Baskets" in "Daily Life"; and
"Pagodas" and "Shrines" in "Buildings and Bridges". *[KMG]

From The Scout Report, Copyright Internet Scout 1994-2009.
http://scout.wisc.edu/

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 06-03-2009, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 13:56:41 -0500, Bill
wrote:

15. Botanical and Cultural Images of Eastern Asia, 1907-1927

http://www.arboretum.harvard.edu/programs/eastern_asia/overview.html

Nice....very nice

Charlie

The explorer Wilson name shows up on some of my plants. Deciduous
Azaleas in particular. Kind of neat to see what they saw. This site
got me thinking about who made my perennial garden richer.

Also reminds me of the Book we spoke of in the past here. "China at
work" by Rudolf Hommel. Due to the large format images.

Best

Bill who has a friend who had a 8X10 view camera stolen in Mexico 30
years ago. (

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

[IMG] code is On

:::: Crime & Thrilling Fiction about Asia :::: CGMoore.COM Bonsai 0 21-04-2005 09:51 AM
organic / cultural / bio-friendly pest + disease control Eyebright United Kingdom 5 16-12-2004 09:31 AM
Buy paphs in Asia Dicky Orchids 1 01-06-2004 02:20 PM
Cultural Practice Problems of Trees and Shrubs Bob Batson Gardening 1 13-06-2003 08:08 PM
Cultural notes re Cyperus alternifolius eric United Kingdom 1 05-04-2003 09:44 PM