Old 23-02-2003, 01:15 AM
jammer

Default Iris and mulch

Are ya'll going to get tired of my questions? I hope not. Spring isn't
even here yet.

I like my iris to spread around. Is i put a LIGHT wood chip mulch on
them, can they still spread?
Thanks

Today, I bought 3 clematis vines, 12 buck caladium bulbs, 4 Texas sage
bushes, and a packet of spearmint. (I didnt want it, the roommate
wanted it) I cleaned out around my pond, pulled the rest of the
weeds, and carefully placed turtle and frog statues near the pond.
Today life was good
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 23-02-2003, 02:51 AM
zhanataya

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 19:00:17 -0600, jammer wrote:

Are ya'll going to get tired of my questions? I hope not. Spring isn't
even here yet.

I like my iris to spread around. Is i put a LIGHT wood chip mulch on
them, can they still spread?
Thanks

Yes, they'll still spread.

Today, I bought 3 clematis vines, 12 buck caladium bulbs, 4 Texas sage
bushes, and a packet of spearmint. (I didnt want it, the roommate
wanted it)

Did you retain the right to use all the creative cuss words you can
invent? Strongly recommend you put the spearmint in a pot rather than
in garden beds,

I cleaned out around my pond, pulled the rest of the
weeds, and carefully placed turtle and frog statues near the pond.

Today life was good

Don'tcha love it when you're tired, stinky and feeling very satisfied
with a job accomplished in the garden?

zhan
Old 23-02-2003, 03:51 AM
Dwayne

Hi. If you want your iris to spread, the best way is to dig up the whole
plant, break it apart and replant it where you want it to grow. Goive it
plenty of room, because every 3 years or so, you have to do it all over
again. The best time to do it is as soon as they quit blooming (June?). If
you do it then, they might bloom the next year again, other wise it will
take them two years to start blooming.

I try to leave part of the plant alone, and remove the rest of it to divide
up. Do waht ever works the best for you. Dwayne

Old 23-02-2003, 03:51 AM
jammer

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 02:41:40 GMT, zhanataya
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 19:00:17 -0600, jammer wrote:

Are ya'll going to get tired of my questions? I hope not. Spring isn't
even here yet.

I like my iris to spread around. Is i put a LIGHT wood chip mulch on
them, can they still spread?
Thanks

Yes, they'll still spread.

+
Thank you

Today, I bought 3 clematis vines, 12 buck caladium bulbs, 4 Texas sage
bushes, and a packet of spearmint. (I didnt want it, the roommate
wanted it)

Did you retain the right to use all the creative cuss words you can
invent? Strongly recommend you put the spearmint in a pot rather than
in garden beds,

Yes, i am potting it, thanks. (I didnt have a place for it)

I cleaned out around my pond, pulled the rest of the
weeds, and carefully placed turtle and frog statues near the pond.

Today life was good

Don'tcha love it when you're tired, stinky and feeling very satisfied
with a job accomplished in the garden?

Absolutely!!!!

zhan

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 23-02-2003, 03:51 AM
jammer

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 21:30:42 -0700, "Dwayne" wrote:

Hi. If you want your iris to spread, the best way is to dig up the whole
plant, break it apart and replant it where you want it to grow. Goive it
plenty of room, because every 3 years or so, you have to do it all over
again. The best time to do it is as soon as they quit blooming (June?). If
you do it then, they might bloom the next year again, other wise it will
take them two years to start blooming.

I try to leave part of the plant alone, and remove the rest of it to divide
up. Do waht ever works the best for you. Dwayne

I didn't know i could do that. Thanks!

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 23-02-2003, 04:15 AM
Starlord

It's not good to put anything on top of Iris, this can cause them to ROT and the
rhizome needs light to reach it too.

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lenghtening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Starlord's Personal Page
http://starlord-personal.netfirms.com

"jammer" wrote in message
Are ya'll going to get tired of my questions? I hope not. Spring isn't
even here yet.

I like my iris to spread around. Is i put a LIGHT wood chip mulch on
them, can they still spread?
Thanks

Today, I bought 3 clematis vines, 12 buck caladium bulbs, 4 Texas sage
bushes, and a packet of spearmint. (I didnt want it, the roommate
wanted it) I cleaned out around my pond, pulled the rest of the
weeds, and carefully placed turtle and frog statues near the pond.
Today life was good
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

---

Old 23-02-2003, 04:27 PM
animaux

I should probably read the other responses, but iris don't so much spread as
they increase. About every three years they need to be divided or their
blooming is greatly diminished. I divide mine in early spring, which is
somewhere around Feb. 15 for us. Matter of fact, I just did mine a few weeks
ago.

I also added about 4 different varieties. Iris are so beautiful and easy.

If you cover with mulch, try not to cover the rhizome. That part of the plant
needs to be out of the soil. If you plant them or cover them too deeply, you
could also delay or restrict blooming.

Victoria

Old 23-02-2003, 08:15 PM
jammer

Hmm..ok, thank you so much.

Old 26-02-2003, 03:39 AM
CWilde

Lots of votes on iris, so for an imo. My summer water bill gets high enough
that I mulch everything. I vary the thickness according to the plant. 1/2 -
1" over the iris - some other types of plants 4". Definitely when replanting
the tubers you want them just under the surface of the soil.

Definitely do 4" of mulch on the clematis.

Mint, any type I've ever tried is invasive.

Let me know how the caladiums grow, I've been looking at pictures and
drooling, but haven't ordered yet.

Carlotta
zone 4/5

Old 26-02-2003, 03:51 AM
jammer

Thanks, Carlotta. i don't give 2 hoots about the mint, that is the
roomie's request, so i will plant it in a pot for him. No biggie. I
will initially mulch the clematis 4" and then I am thinking something
like hostas to shade the roots even better.

Caladiums. Two words. GET SOME. I had never had any before and thought
they would surely die here in the summer, but i bought one plant last
year and that plant was my focal point many times. SOOOO pretty and
loved the heat! (in the shade) Also, i dug it up one day to see if it
would grow in the pond, and found these little baby bulbs. (tubers?) I
poked one down in a house plant and it has sent up 3 leaves so far, 3
seperate plants. When planting time comes, i am going to pour out the
dirt and see how it is all connected. I assume i can devide them into
3 plants. My spider plant is freaking out! haha Now i have either 24
or 20 bulbs and can't wait to plant them. Another one i tried for the
first time that was very happy, an elephant ear bulb/plant. That's
another nice one that loves the heat. (in the shade)
Zone7A
juls

Old 28-02-2003, 02:27 AM
CWilde

The thing I worry about trying caladiums, is I'm not much of a house
starter, and it'd be half way to June before our outside temperatures meet
their requirements. The display garden at the state fair had a wonderful bed
a few years ago, but you just don't see them offered in local garden
centers. Definitely a catalog ordered item. If you've had success with it
as a house plant, (and I've read that they do make OK house plants) maybe
I'll try one this spring as an inside/outside plant. What type of light do
you have it in the house?

Carlotta
Iowa
high of 34 today - some of the ice melted

Old 28-02-2003, 04:28 AM
jammer

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 20:36:40 -0600, "CWilde"
wrote:

The thing I worry about trying caladiums, is I'm not much of a house
starter, and it'd be half way to June before our outside temperatures meet
their requirements. The display garden at the state fair had a wonderful bed
a few years ago, but you just don't see them offered in local garden
centers. Definitely a catalog ordered item. If you've had success with it
as a house plant, (and I've read that they do make OK house plants) maybe
I'll try one this spring as an inside/outside plant. What type of light do
you have it in the house?

Carlotta
Iowa
high of 34 today - some of the ice melted

I have a west window that my plants tolerate. We too are at 34 and ice
melting. (North Texas zone 7) I use caladiums as a seasonal outdoor
plant. Then i either dig up the bulbs at the end of the season, or
mulch heavily. My elephant ears are just mulched all to heck out
there. I already have too many plants inside to try for another.
Besides, i found some small tubors, planted them in a pot, and
eventhough they LUNGED up through the dirt, they have long stems and
not that attractive. I am going to see if they like living in the pond
when it warms up. It could be may before i can put the bulbs in the
ground, but they grow FAST. I know it's hard to wait so long, but we
have to garden to mother nature's rules. I am champin' at the bit
myself !!! You mean they dont have caladium bulbs at walmart? I was
so surprised to see the bulbs and flowers they had inside in bins.
jammer

Old 28-02-2003, 03:52 PM
CRicha5307

i mulh iris in west texas (near abilene) and use the wal mart pine bark mulch
and have had no problems with the spreading