Old 14-03-2009, 10:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Frogs arrived........

I was walking around the pond looking for a few hyacinths to cut for the
house - and saw frogs! The frogs are back. Bad news for bugs slugs and
insects. :-)

Old 15-03-2009, 12:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote:
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 17:47:04 -0500, "D. Arlington"
wrote:

I was walking around the pond looking for a few hyacinths to cut for the
house - and saw frogs! The frogs are back. Bad news for bugs slugs and
insects. :-)

Big enough to eat??? Bad news for frogs!!! :-D

I've the frying pan waiting...lol!

~Rae
Old 16-03-2009, 05:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 20:18:22 -0400, rachael simpson
wrote:

Charlie wrote:

Big enough to eat??? Bad news for frogs!!! :-D

I've the frying pan waiting...lol!

Rae!

How you been, girl? Spring is bout here and spirits are rising. I
was just outside hanging over the gate at dusk making plans for all
the wonderful stuff to plant and eat, thinking about needing to get
outta town and wet a line this week. This frogleg thing reminded me
to go get my fishing/hunting license, which I did.

How are the youngsters? Bet they are running strong and ready for
spring. I've three grands now. The youngest is a the most beautiful
little girl you ever saw (aren't they all). A girl-child is new for
us, but she's got me wrapped. ;-)

According the the drought monitors, ya'll are stiil underwet, so,
along with the depressed economy, the farming situation is still
difficult? We've plenty of moisture...for now anyway, but several
farming friends are more than worried about the astronomical cost of
putting in a crop and the likelihood of a loss on their crop, if they
can even score the credit to plant. Seems as if the only ones that are
assured of financing are the mega-farmers who are into the banks so
deeply, they are getting financing. I would hate to be one of the
folks that had paid six grand/acre recently and hoping to come out
even at best.

Enough of that. What do have gowin' this year?

Care
Charlie

Let's see. Wyatt is almost 4. Breanna is two. Hmmmm. How you feeling
girl? Got any, eh, projects planned?
--

Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvCCc4g9wM8&NR=1
Old 16-03-2009, 12:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Charlie/ Frogs arrived........

wrote:

Charlie wrote:

[...]

Enough of that. What do have growin' this year?

Care
Charlie

Hiya Charlie,

It seems I remember telling you that it wouldn't take long for the
little lass to have you wrapped around her little finger. How are the
boys taking to her?

At the moment, it's hard to believe we are still considered under
drought conditions, as just two weeks ago we were under flood warnings.
The river around back is still up by about 8 feet.

Farming-wise, the concerns there are the same around here. At least for
the moment, non-highway fuel prices are down here and everyone is trying
to stock up on fuel to last them thru the planting season.
The weather is still to iffy here to plant anything just yet. Last week
we were in the 80's for a few days, then on Friday we didn't even get
out of the 40's. Got my whole household sick with colds/congestion. Most
are waiting for Easter before planting, as we always get a cold snap
right before Easter. If we don't this year, it will be a first.

Right now, besides a few pepper plants that I've started indoors, the
only thing we have a growing is kids! lol! Wyatt & Bre are at full
force, and the newest little one, Kaelyn, joined us in January, actually
born on her big sister's 2nd birthday. So now I have two girls with the
same b-day, exactly 2 years apart. Go figure.

I have high hopes for a bigger garden this year, but not sure if I'll be
able to work one as with this last baby, my ticker tried to give out on
me, and I'm still having troubles with it. I've known for some years
that mine didn't want to last, but it's only a quarter + 1 years old,
and didn't expect to have this kind of troubles yet. I hope when the
weather straightens out and spring is here to stay, things will go back
to normal for me and will have this ticker thing under control again for
several years. I seem to have a flare-up with it every 5-6 years.

I hope to try some different maters this year, you have any suggestions
on good growers? I like to stick with the heirloom varieties. I'll
probably just buy mater plants from a local nursery this year. They
usually have a good selection. I'll start everything else from seed. We
generally just sow straight into the ground. Oh, I do have collards out
there now. They are the same plants I grew last spring. Most of them
made it over winter. We had several hard freezes this year which had
come to be unusual here and that took a few of them out.

Well, I hear the baby stirring, she'll be ready for her feeding soon.
Hope you and your's are all fairing well.

~Rae
Old 16-03-2009, 12:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Charlie wrote:
[...]

lol! Hi Billy.
I'm hanging in there.
Um, let's see...the latest "project" was completed in January. You can
read about it in my reply to Charlie.
New projects are mainly dreams of adding on to the home, reorganizing
the play room and just making it thru the day...
Everyone here is sick and the kids are just feeling well enough to
constantly aggravate each other just by looking...lol!

~Rae

Old 16-03-2009, 10:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

I was walking around the pond looking for a few hyacinths to cut for the
house - and saw frogs! The frogs are back. Bad news for bugs slugs and
insects. :-)

Big enough to eat??? Bad news for frogs!!! :-D

These guys are too valuable to a gardener to have for dinner. ;-)

--
Charlie

"FROG, n. A reptile with edible legs."
-- Ambrose Bierce