Old 20-03-2009, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default A commercial edging machine ??

Greetings all.

Just for my general knowledge (or lack thereof). I was working on a landscaped site.
There were several beds probably about 20 foot x 40 foot. The
edges had been edged to about a depth of 5", cutting through about an inch
of top soil and about 4 inches of sandy clay.

Looked too neat and probably too difficult to have been done by hand. The
edge was a uniform bevel. Definitely far beyound the capability of the
typical 'garden edger'. This was a nice job, removed a lot of dirt which was
mounded in the center part of the bed.

Is there a commercial landscaping machine used for this purpose ??? What's
the name or trade name ??

Thx in advance...

Peter
Old 21-03-2009, 12:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message

Greetings all.

Just for my general knowledge (or lack thereof). I was working on a
landscaped site.
There were several beds probably about 20 foot x 40 foot. The
edges had been edged to about a depth of 5", cutting through about an
inch
of top soil and about 4 inches of sandy clay.

Looked too neat and probably too difficult to have been done by hand.
The
edge was a uniform bevel. Definitely far beyound the capability of the
typical 'garden edger'. This was a nice job, removed a lot of dirt
which was
mounded in the center part of the bed.

Is there a commercial landscaping machine used for this purpose ???
What's
the name or trade name ??

Just a guess but could be a little Mantis tiller with the edging attachment.

Old 21-03-2009, 02:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Phisherman" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 19:42:59 -0400, wrote:

[...]

I use a Weedeater turned on its side and walk backwards. With a
steady hand, you can get a perfect looking edge. I learned this from
watching professional landscapers. No need to buy a separate edging
machine--why maintain another gas-powered machine?

I use a string trimmer for edging/grooming too, along my driveway and
walkways, but it's not going to dig down 5" and pile earth into a mound, in
fact any earth it dislodges is flung far and wide. It sounds to me from
what the OP describes is that initially a small tiller was used (or dug by
hand) and then the sod edge maintained with a string trimmer. However with
regular/constant use over a couple of years a string trimmer alone will
eventually create a fairly large bevel/champher at a lawn edge, but still
the soil removed will not create a mound, it will be flung away. And by
creating such a deep champher too much root at the edge of the sod will be
exposed to the point that the edge will begin to die back and look awful, so
not a very smart practice... often lawn service crews will strive to create
a large champer where the sod meets a bed or a curb, they try to create a
dead space at as many borders as possible in order to make their mowing
easier and faster.