Old 28-03-2009, 03:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bulb planting

We went to the Borg a few weeks ago, and as is the custom with my wife, she
bought WAAAAAAAAAAAY more bulbs than we could plant on a three day weekend.
They lay in the living room for about a week, so I put them in the fridge,
not wanting them to take root in the carpeting.

Now we're just about (I hope) through with the cold weather, and bulb
plantings should work in the next couple of weeks.

What's a good mix for planting this stuff in virgin sandy (imagine a sand
dune) soil? We have a local rodeo arena where we got a load of mulch.
(imagine stall cleanings) Actually, the locals say it is better than the
mulch available at the landfill because it has far less foreign seeds. We
can get the bales of peat, planting soil, etc.

This will be the first planting. I intend to leave them year to year, and
cover them with straw. We have a new used house, and some bulbs sprouted
that were left here, so I know they survive season to season.

TIA

Steve

Old 28-03-2009, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

SteveB wrote:
[...]

If you want information, it helps to provide some first. What sort of
bulbs? Where are they to be planted? Anchorage, Alaska is not the same as
San Diego, California.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 29-03-2009, 06:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

"SteveB" wrote in message
We went to the Borg a few weeks ago, and as is the custom with my wife,
she bought WAAAAAAAAAAAY more bulbs than we could plant on a three day
weekend. They lay in the living room for about a week, so I put them in
the fridge, not wanting them to take root in the carpeting.

Now we're just about (I hope) through with the cold weather, and bulb
plantings should work in the next couple of weeks.

Dig in all the most rotted compost you can find along with bone meal....
follow directions on bag. What kind of bulbs are they?